Best antidepressant?

Reaction score
Loosing my hair has made me realize there are bigger problems in my life. I have always been mildly depressed, but since male pattern baldness it has gotten worse. I obsess with the thing that are wrong in my life, and hairloss is only the most recent case.

I think I am going to meet with the University Psychiatrics and try to get a prescriprtion for an antidepressant.

What is the best antidepressant without side effects such as more hair loss, gyno, etc....

I don't know if hairloss or propecia is making me depressed, but I need to do something.

Thanks
Nate

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ongoing mild depression is called 'dysthymia' often lasting for many years but being less severe than full blown depression.

SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are often prescribed, but I would let your doctor advise you on what is best.

I have not heard of gyno being a side effect of anti-depresssnt use (?)

Good Luck (after a month or so on the medication you won't need any luck :) )

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
You will know that they are working when you realize that you want to change your posting name...

Most of the modern antidepressants are well tollerated... As everybody reacts differently to each medication it is impossible to predict which one is best for you or which will cause the least side-effects. If one doesn't work, try another and keep working with your doctor. The newest (like lexapro) have the lowest risk of sexual dysfunction, but the risk isnt large for any of them.

Regarding dysthymia, when the antidepressants have you feeling better use the extra energy to make other positive changes (exercise, social, religion) that you couldnt make before. Pills are only half the answer.

goingoinbutnotgone

Established Member
Reaction score
Strattera...

I don't think I need an antidepressant, but I am way high strung. I was on Cylert (for ADD) when I was younger. I quit, but still really suffer with not being able to focus or chill out. My doctor wants me to try Strattera.
I did not want to use the stimulants because they reduce circulation in the extremities and make you bald faster!
But this product gets great reviews for adults with ADD. When I looked it up, it turns out to be an excellent anti-depressant. It also is a blood vessel dialator, which should mean better circulation and perhaps better blood flow to the follicles (I know, it's a long shot).
You should look into this. Low side effects and it is not a controlled substance or an amphetamine.
Good luck.

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Strattera...

goingoinbutnotgone said:
Strattera...You should look into this. Low side effects and it is not a controlled substance or an amphetamine.
Good luck.

It might help your ADD, but it isnt really an antidepressant and isnt used for depression or dysthymia. .

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
hey, i'm an 'expert' in this

there are different antidepressants that work best for different types of personality types

the high cortisol stressedtype (acth blunters like remeron work), the one's who lack motivation need ones with norepinephrine activation, etc.etc.

give me a paragaph or so about yourself and the way you think and i'll tell you which one you should try

oni

Reaction score
Having a healthy diet and exercising PLUS just having someone to talk to helps i.e. a councillor, meditation also helps if you can get into it.

Depression is a long battle but drugs are not your only weapons. :)

Reaction score
"give me a paragaph or so about yourself and the way you think and i'll tell you which one you should try"

In one word negatively. I think about the things that I deem wrong with my self. I used to be obsessive about other things, my pale skin, my weight, my head shape and size. Granted these things are not crippiling, but it does result in lower motivation.

I think pot might be one of my problems. I has social anxiety, but it is manageable untill i smoke. After I smoke, I will not go to any parties or social function. The problem is my freinds and I are always high, especially now since it is summer and there is no school.

I keep going back and forth thinking that I need treatment and then thinking that I don't.

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
i think im ugly. with raging acne and hairloss, you can understand. sometimes i just wants to withdraw and retreat to my bedroom for days on end.

ive been thinking i may have depression, but i dunno. i mean im still interested in sex, even though dutasteride is doing a terrific job in killing my libido, and i still have a good sense of humour.

what anti depressant maybe right for me, gilgamesh?

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have a lot of anxiety you may do better to avoid the more "stimulating" antidepressants (wellbutrin, prozac) and stick to more sedating SSRI's like Paxil XR. Lexapro is pretty neutral and would probably be well tollerated. If trials of those dont help and you (and your doctor) think you are depressed trying Effexor XR may help... It works on two chemicals and may work when the others dont, though you might need high doses.

The marijuana isn't helping as you said yourself it brings out more social anxiety... It is also a behavior that isolates you from "non-drug using" society, and may be affecting your self-image. There is also the lack of motivation and under-achievement that goes along with marijuana to consider... Regular use can get you in a real "rut" that is hard to get out of.