Benefits of stock system vs custom system?

hairhelp777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the benefit of a custom system vs a stock system? I understand a stock system can be trimmed down and fitted to the area of hair loss - so trying to understand why people don't just use stock systems.

I have am autoimmune condition that affects the front 1.8 inches of my scalp and can't cover the rest of the scalp due to topical treatments.

I'm not quite at the stage of needing a system yet - but trying to understand the benefits of stock vs. custom so that I'm prepared when the time comes.

Thanks for advice.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the benefit of a custom system vs a stock system? I understand a stock system can be trimmed down and fitted to the area of hair loss - so trying to understand why people don't just use stock systems.

Custom systems can be made to one's exact specs - it's not just merely having a base size to the exact size of your balding area, but a custom system can have specific density, length, hairline contour, colour, even different types of base material in different parts of the system etc. A stock system is ok if you need something quick and don't want to be waiting around for a custom unit to be made, and might be fine for some people though. I wear hair long so a custom system is the way forward.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It depends on what you need. A well-made Premade system will come in a variety of sizes that will match the average-shaped head. It should also have a graduated hairline with bleached knots, added grey %, and even curl.

I have clients who have been wearing premade for years... and are quite happy.

With a custom system you can get creative and exact with densities, color combinations, highlights, and a mix of curl for a more natural look. Custom systems can be vented directionally, given a crown-effect (left, right, or center), and even a flat crown to avoid the hair sticking up in the back look. And, if you have a weird-shaped head as I do... it's the only option (except when I did the 12" Viking Mohawk).

hairhelp777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Do pre-made systems allow you to specify coarse hair (as my bio hair is quite coarse)? Or do you just have to accept whatever is given - and it could be fine hair?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Do pre-made systems allow you to specify coarse hair (as my bio hair is quite coarse)? Or do you just have to accept whatever is given - and it could be fine hair?
There is hair type, Chinese, Indian, European, Remy, or non. Chinese being the coarser, then Indian, then European. I believe you can get premade systems in every type of hair, it just depends on the supplier.

Last edited:

hairhelp777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you
There is hair type, Chinese, Indian, European, Remy, or non. Chinese being the coarser, then Indian, then European. I believe you can get premade systems in every type of hair, it just depends on the supplier.
Thank you - this is very helpful. Is Remy considered the best quality - and you can have European Remy or Indian remy etc?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is the quality is Brazilian Remy hair like btw? I've seen some companies offering it.