Benefits of Rogaine alone?

TourdeForce24

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a Norwood 2 with slight diffuse thinning in the pattern of a Norwood 3. My temples are very receded. My hairloss has stabilized for the past year or so in this manner. I am thinking of starting Rogaine 5%, but I do not want to take Propecia. Will this help me? Thank you.

VWdude

Reaction score
interesting regimen I have to say...maybe thats the problem? Either throw in propecia into the mix or you will continue loosing hair.

VWdude

Reaction score
Get on propecia...and if you want, go on rogaine....throw in some nizoral too and just give it a while...

i don't see why people are scared of taking propecia.... you get man boobs, or another rediculous side get off it... that simple.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
VWdude said:
Get on propecia...and if you want, go on rogaine....throw in some nizoral too and just give it a while...

i don't see why people are scared of taking propecia.... you get man boobs, or another rediculous side get off it... that simple.
Problem is it hasn't been that simple for a good number of people.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
TourdeForce24 said:
So if I just used Rogaine, I would continue to lose more hair?

Rogaine probably doesn't really interfere with the fundamental balding process, so you're likely to continue losing hair if that's ALL that you're using. The only real benefit of Rogaine appears to be that it provides an "offset" of extra growth, even as the balding process continues.

Here's an analogy to demonstrate more clearly what I'm talking about: imagine an elderly man with osteoporosis who is slowly shrinking in height. He can put 1-inch lifts in his shoes and suddenly gain an extra inch of height, but it doesn't really interfere with the fundamental "shrinking process" of osteoporosis. He'll keep on slowly shrinking, although the lifts have bought him some additional time. But in time, his disease will eventually overtake even those lifts, and he'll be even shorter than he was without them. But they have at least HELPED him, by providing that extra offset of height.

OTOH, suppose that the man starts living healthier; he starts a program of good weight-bearing exercise, he starts taking calcium and vitamin D supplements, he stops smoking, etc. etc. He realizes after a while that he's no longer shrinking in height. Unlike just putting 1-inch lifts in his shoes, he has interfered with the fundamental shrinking process.

Finally, he realizes that the best way to treat his problem is to do BOTH: use 1-inch lifts to get him some extra height, and use the health-building program to make sure that he stops the shrinking process.

Bryan