been on minoxidil 5% 3 weeks- SHEDDING

agent_sam

Reaction score
hey guys,
this is my first post here,
im 22 and have been loosing hair since i was 18, i started minoxidil 3 weeks ago, noticed a slight increase in hairloss in the first two weeks
BUT THIS WEEK, HELL BROKE LOOSE
theyve been breaking every time i comb, shower, run my hands through or even dont do anything, fall off on my t-shirt n shoulders,
i see them everywhere on my pillow, carpet, desk!!
hairloss had been stable last year, and i wasnt loosing any hair before starting minoxidil 5%, twice a day 1 mil in morning and at night!
im applying it all over my head,
wot should i do?? is this normal??

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A lot of people do seem to experience an increase of shedding when starting minoxidil - generally the consensus is to stick with the applications and ride it out. The theory seems to be a lot of those hairs will grow back and your existing hair will thicken up a little.

HOWEVER, those hairs you are shedding are your own and may not have fallen out if you had not started using minoxidil. If they grow back they may then be minoxidil dependent for survival.

That may not be entirely correct - it's just another theory. No-one is really sure of anything in the hair loss trade. And it's the reason why some people are reluctant to take minoxidil in the first place. Once you've started you can't stop - like smoking.

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
Ride it out...eventually the shedding will stop. The worst thing you can do is stop in the middle of a shed. I know. I've done it.

G

yeah whatever you do, don't stop the minoxidil. you've only been on it 3 weeks- give it 6 months to a year to judge results. By the 6 months your shedding should have stopped because the hair will have cycled once.

also consider adding finasteride(propecia or proscar) to your regimen. this will block the conversion of most of the dht.

CCS

Reaction score
Unless it make your scalp red. If it is just a little pink, you can dry adding a little oil to the minoxidil and taking it once a day. But if it gets really read, I'd stop, since you know the pores are probably the redest part.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
No worries.... I too had that shed 3 weeks in and it was to the point where it was visibly bad. But if it's anything like mine then it'll go away soon and thicker hairs will grow back in its place.

agent_sam

Reaction score
yeh im trying best to keep applying it, forget about it and soon i should notice growth, or even if i maintain wot i have, strong and thick ill be happy

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hehe..been there...heavy shedding 10 days after starting Min...20 days of horrible shedding 100+..then came down to 75 and then lesser numbers and the came to where it was before I started MIN...So stick with it and relaxx............

I have again stared seeing a shed this week..like arnd 40 hairs..but these hairs are much thicker...so I am not feeling as fucked up as earlier..but still scared

avi21

Established Member
Reaction score
hairhaircomeagain, did you applied minoxidil all over or only hairline?

agent_sam

Reaction score
shed is still quite moderate, let me say that before applying minoxidil i wasnt loosing any hair, hardly any came out while showering etc. i had a very bad shed 3 years ago, made me a nw2 or something with diffused thinning all over, the crown too. but since then it has been stable, ive been on EXACTLY 4 WEEKS on minoxidil today
ive been applyin it all over the scalp and the density has reduced NOTICEABLY...earlier i could still cover my temples with the surrounding hair, bt now its not just happening
f*** i only wanted minoxidil to maintain my existing hair its gettin worse

Reaction score
dude, do not quit. I know it may seem counterproductive but very few people actually loose hair while on minoxidil, after all it is one of only two drugs approved by the FDA to regrow hair. You should definitely stay on it for at least 3-6 months.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
minoxidil will decrease the telogen phase of hair. This means that the hair that is being shed is hair that would have fallen out within ~100 days anyways. Your shedding will taper down over this time period. Have faith, I did.

I had shedding from days 26-32 and am having a small shed at days 133-136.

Good luck.

agent_sam

Reaction score
saw a couple of friends today after 2-3 months, first thing they said was about my hair, they could see my scalp through the top of the head and the front, i wasnt loosing hair before i started minoxidil i just wanna use minoxidil till i get an hair transplant later this year and keep using it if it maintains or till HM comes up, im not living bald, ME AND DHT ARE AT WAR
AND I WILL WIN, I WILL HAVE IT MY WAY!!!!!!!!!!!