Been on finasteride for 2 years now

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
Today is my second anniversary of taking propecia and from what I've been reading on here, supposedly it all now goes downhill. The finasteride will slowly begin to stop being effective and my hair loss will resume.... yeah?

So should I continue taking it and see how it goes? Is my hair unlikely to improve anymore?
I'm a bit panicky about my hair loss and have a nasty feeling the next time I get a seasonal shed from finasteride I'm gonna fear the worst and get started on dutasteride, which could be a big big mistake...

Advice much appreciated.

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Barry_Blue said:
Today is my second anniversary of taking propecia and from what I've been reading on here, supposedly it all now goes downhill. The finasteride will slowly begin to stop being effective and my hair loss will resume.... yeah?

So should I continue taking it and see how it goes? Is my hair unlikely to improve anymore?
I'm a bit panicky about my hair loss and have a nasty feeling the next time I get a seasonal shed from finasteride I'm gonna fear the worst and get started on dutasteride, which could be a big big mistake...

Advice much appreciated.

Meaning...your hair loss problem is over?
All hair grown back now?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
If the loss does start back again maybe going to 1.5 finasteride may help or as you stated dutasteride if that does not work. Happy Anniversary and congrats on your fight

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah, where did you get the figure of two years from? If your hair loss isn't ultra-aggressive, I think you can expect up to ten years of maintenance.

Pondle

Reaction score
hairisthinning said:
it supposedly starts declining, but it will still slow it down more than if you werent taking it

It doesn't necessarily start declining. Average hair counts for the treatment group dropped after year 2 in the trials but that could just be because responders have plateaued, and the average is dragged down by the 10-17% who are non-responders.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you taking minoxidil right now? If you start losing it again, you could always add that to the mix if you're uncomfortable with dutasteride. I've heard of people maintaining for ten years, and I'm sure people have gone longer. From what it sounds like, you haven't actually started losing it again, so just enjoy having hair.

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
frontal said:
Barry_Blue said:

Advice much appreciated.

Meaning...your hair loss problem is over?
All hair grown back now?

Maintenance, a wee bit of regrowth... I'm desperately trying to get some more regrowth, just started on minoxidil foam and spectral. Can't knock maintenance though, I'm just scared of losing what I have got!

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
what everyone has to realise is that although u stop getting growth after 2 years, the RATE of hairloss is CONTINUOUSLY descreased by finasteride. u go off of it, even if you're 5 years into treatment, and your hair loss will go a much faster rate.