Bee Venom Promotes Hair Growth in Association with Inhibiting 5α-Reductase Expression

Sweuser

Reaction score
Bee Venom Promotes Hair Growth in Association with Inhibiting 5α-Reductase Expression.

Abstract

<abstracttext>Alopecia is an important issue that can occur in people of all ages. Recent studies show that bee venom can be used to treat certain diseases including rheumatoid arthritis, neuralgia, and multiple sclerosis. In this study, we investigated the preventive effect of bee venom on alopecia, which was measured by applying bee venom (0.001, 0.005, and 0.01%) or minoxidil (2%) as a positive control to the dorsal skin of female C57BL/6 mice for 19 days. Growth factors responsible for hair growth were analyzed by quantitative real-time PCR and western blot analysis using mice skins and human dermal papilla cells (hDPCs). Bee venom promoted hair growth and inhibited transition from the anagen to catagen phase. In both anagen phase mice and dexamethasone-induced catagen phase mice, hair growth was increased dose dependently compared with controls. Bee venom inhibited the expression of SRD5A2, which encodes a type II 5α-reductase that plays a major role in the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. Moreover, bee venom stimulated proliferation of hDPCs and several growth factors (IGF-1R, VEGF, FGF2, and FGF7) in bee venom-treated hDPCs dose dependently compared with the control group. In conclusion, bee venom is a potentially potent 5α-reductase inhibitor and hair growth promoter.</abstracttext>

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27040904

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes but minoxidil does not target the same mechanism Bee venom apparently does

Sweuser

Reaction score
Well, there are a few interesting things in this study (except for being a canditate for Ig Nobel?)

Basic research tend to be far from applications, but still give knowledge.

Like Perisienne said, minoxidil was only used as a positive control, mechanism doesn't matter.

I'm still waiting for the entire article, but bee venom seems interesting; I have not seen a substance attacking the problem at RNA level before, there might be other mechanism for each component of the venom giving it hair growth properties though. Also, this venom might only be working when all components are present (ex. one for entering cell), as soon as going systemic, the substanse have no longer effect - no sides.

Whats more interesting are the applications in other fields, moving research in right direction. There are already some really expensive cosmetic products claming to contain bee venom.

On the other side, article is from Korea:sulkoff:

Will read more about this...

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Brb going to find bees to sting my forehead.

So, are you lying about your location then, Norwood One?!?! There are NO BEES IN SPACE!

- - - Updated - - -

I am allergic as f*ck to bees. no way I am injecting bee venom into my system.

jake_b

Established Member
Reaction score
How did I know just from reading the abstract that this study happened in Korea.

According to research papers, Korea has cured baldness about 846 times using random herbs and spices and yet, here we are.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
How did I know just from reading the abstract that this study happened in Korea.

According to research papers, Korea has cured baldness about 846 times using random herbs and spices and yet, here we are.

I see someone's read my south korea thread :)

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Korea must be flush with research grant money with little oversight.

Dennis Garber

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bee venom appears perfect for stress related hair loss.

How many people who tried Venex topically have seen results for hair?

Looks like the rna mechanism might work in tandem to finasteride, not redundantly.

This said, breaking past the feedback loop which occurs with one study, I am now interested in preponderance of anecdotes-for or against. Stress and gene expression, seems to be mechanism. So, diet dht not effected by SRD5A2, needs to filtered out. Along side finasteride, etc, to see boost. Or where these fail. Or alone.

I have not read human trials, nor forum anecdote.

Jonathan Jenkins

My Regimen
Reaction score
The bee venom does not sting. While in Mexico I bought injectable bee venom and had no problems at customs with it. There is an American doctor there that sells Moreno Method Apitoxin.

Jonathan Jenkins

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder how many bees you'd have to kill to get a single 1ml drop.
As if you have never swatted a bee or complained because you didn't have meat. You don't have to kill any bees to get the venom. This is not new information. I live in a developing country and I know this to factual. Regardless, the apitoxin created by Method Moreno is the best. You may need the doctor's opinion as well.