Beaner's Story

beaner

Reaction score
Just wanted to take a moment to say hello. I've been haunting this forum for a couple of months and finally joined. (Actually tried to join a while back but it wouldn't take my hotmail email address....HairLossTalk.com, why is that?) I think I've read every post, some more than once. I'm beginning to feel as if I know some of you personally and you seem like a great bunch! (I especially like Gunner's "stories" )
Anyway, I'm almost 37 years old and have been pretty much losing my hair all of my adult life..probably noticed Jr/Sr year in high school. At the time the only available treatment was prescription minoxidil 2% and I most certainly could not afford it. Also I was losing rather slowly and it didn't really become noticeable for quite a while.
By the time I hit my 30's, male pattern baldness began to hit hard and I was shedding like a bastard and pretty much realized that I would be quite bald in a few years if I didn't do something. I was probably about a NW4 at the hairline and had a bald spot that enfulfed the entire top of my head.
Not knowing too much, I bagan 5% minoxidil and began to see results quite quickly. My hair thickened up a bit and the bald spot slowly decreased in size. I never used it on the hairline because I thought it was ineffective and figured "why waste my minoxidil?" It seemed to have an effect on it anyway as a couple of years ago, I noticed my temples coming forward in the corner.
Now almost 4 years later, I still am seeing new growth from minoxidil, although that may be because I have increased the dosage a bit in the last year or so....I now work out of my home so 2 daily applications became a regular thing, as before I sometimes only did one because it made my hair look like crap.
I am now probably a NW2 at the temples and the bald spot has decreased in size by half with new terminal growth at the edges and a covering of peach fuzz. I know I am lucky to be such a great responder to minoxidil and am well aware that I need to address the DHT issue or eventually male pattern baldness will rear its ugly head again.
I have just ordered Finpecia from Popularchemist (anyone use this site for finasteride?) and spironolactone from Dr Lee. I will definitely start the spironolactone as soon as I get it...the finasteride maybe another story as I will have to work up the nerve to start it. I know I more than likely won't have sides, or if I do they will probably go away soon...it's the incessant shedding horror stories that scare me most...my hair doesn't look too bad right now and I'd hate to ruin that.
Oh, and before anyone asks why nizoral is not in my regimen, it's because I had an odd reaction to it a couple of months ago. I bought 1% at the pharmacy and after perhaps 4 uses I noticed my scalp and hair became rather oily and the color as well as the texture of my hair changed. It looked a lot finer and thinner. I also think my scalp became inflamed somewhat. Scared the crap out of me, although it seems to be normalizing again and I'm sure I didn't actually shed or lose any. I found on the internet that those allergic to sulfa drugs can possibly have a reaction to ketocanozole...just my luck.
Well anyway, that's about it. I'm sure I'll be "seeing" you guys around.

barf

Reaction score
welcome

have you thought about dutasteride?

i wish i would've known about that prior to getting on finasteride.

beaner

Reaction score
No, I haven't considered dutasteride yet...I figured I'll give finasteride a try first. Looks like you've been on propecia about 6 weeks...have you noticed any sides or shedding yet? I'm personally not worried about the sexual side effects of the drug as I feel they are probably rare and will go away with time....more worried about the massive sheds I hear so much about on these forums......which I imagine are truly rare as well.

Oh...just saw your pix...you look like you are responding well to the minoxidil..congrats on that!

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Hi Beaner (unless there's another name I should call you, lol),
looks like you're on the right path. I can't believe you're getting such great results from minoxidil. That's great... There's nothing like adding Propecia and spironolactone to your regimen.

I highly recommend that, if you cannot use Nizoral, that you use T/Gel or another hairloss shampoo, like Revivogen, Tricomin, or (my favorite) Nioxin-- to help reduce any itching, etc, because of your hair regrowth treatments.

I'm so glad you're using spironolactone from Dr. Lee. I use both the 2% and 5% and, damn, has my regrowth gone off the charts. It's good stuff, and I never go out and recommend using something like topical spironolactone... but it really works for me (knock on wood).

I don't know if you already know me from my sob stories, but I've had a tough time battling hair loss, and it seems that I'm now getting some good results.

I wish you the best, my friend, and if you have any questions, please post them.

Andy

beaner

Reaction score
Thanks Andy.

Beaner is actually a nickname I picked up in college about half my life ago now....let's just say we used to call those funny little cigarettes "beans" and I used to partake quite often. Ahhh... the carelessness of my youth. The name came back to me when I was trying to think of a name for the forum. You can call me John if you'd like. lol

Yes, I've read a lot of your sob stories...but you are young and will pull through the tough times. Believe me, I've gone through some crap myself and as long as you have faith for the future, things will be ok. Don't give up!

Thanks for the suggestion on the shampoo....yeah, I won't use nizoral again...that was too weird. The spironolactone I haven't started yet...should get it by tomorrow...Dr Lee is great. I usually get my package 2 days after it is shipped which was yesterday. That's cool, because it comes from the other side of the country.

Well, thanks again and fight the good fight.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

finasteride trumps all over hairloss treatments by a long shot. As someone who has experienced sides, they are not all that bad and usually go away with time or decreased dosage. Why not start with 0.5 mg per day as many estimate that even at this dose, finasteride is much more effective then minoxidil or spironolactone. At this point I fear that you will experience a placebo effect, so be careful.

barf

Reaction score
beaner said:
No, I haven't considered dutasteride yet...I figured I'll give finasteride a try first. Looks like you've been on propecia about 6 weeks...have you noticed any sides or shedding yet? I'm personally not worried about the sexual side effects of the drug as I feel they are probably rare and will go away with time....more worried about the massive sheds I hear so much about on these forums......which I imagine are truly rare as well.

Oh...just saw your pix...you look like you are responding well to the minoxidil..congrats on that!

I really haven't noticed any sides with the propecia. No noticable shedding either. I think the Nizoral has done a lot to improve the health of my scalp. Good luck, and post pictures.

beaner

Reaction score
StoptheMadness said:
beaner you should meet Deaner

Is that just some random guy in Deaner's avatar? It always cracks me up for some reason.