Bald vegetarian?

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering, since meat and animal fat and diary products are bad for your hair...is it true that vegetarians rarely go bald?

Does anyone know or have seen any bald vegetarians?

Mr_T

Reaction score
moby11.jpg

There's a bald vegetarian for you. I'm not sure if meat affects hairloss that much though I suspect if it does, red meat would be the main culprit.

I was vegetarian for 12 years then decided to go back to eating meat when I turned 23. I went full force into it, eating loads of red meat. It was about 8 months later that I really noticed how thin my hair was getting. It had definitely been receding before that, but it's possible the meat eating accelerated the process.

I'm sure there are better educated posters who can tell you about the relationship between meat and hair loss.

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been a vegetarian since I was 5.

-Looking at my family history, I have relatively good hair genes.

-But I'm 22, and on this site.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Mr_T said:
I'm sure there are better educated posters who can tell you about the relationship between meat and hair loss.
Yeah like there is none.
[attachment=0:2h6c7son]meat_eater.jpg[/attachment:2h6c7son]

Attachments

• meat_eater.jpg
    meat_eater.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 210
Reaction score
I believe that technically Moby is a vegan, though whether that makes a difference or not is beyond me.

You could still eat loads of crap if you're a veggie, so I don't think so

Reaction score
I've been a Vegatarian since i was sixteen, so 14 years. everyone in my fam is bald as hell and i started losing my hair at a somewhat later age than most relatives, but nevertheless, it started.

They say that Asian men had lower rates of hairloss until they were introduced to a more American lifestyle of aftty foods, etc.

IMO, eating healthy and exercise will not hurt and most likely will benefit in some even tiny way.

It will make your physique and skin look and stay younger longer so that can't hurt......

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
It depends what kind of Veg. you are. Do you still eat bread, pasta ,,, cookies?
I think meat, lean high quality meat, can be beneficial for you.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
Lacto vegetarianism is bad for hair it uses milk and its derivatives, Vegan is good for hair

ronymelson

Reaction score
I don't think that the meat has anything to do with hair loss. If it is so, then why do all those who regularly eat meat still have hairs. On the contrary there are plenty of vegans who have gone or in the process of going bald. I think it is just the lifestyle that matter the most and along with that your hygiene and hereditary also plays an important role.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Hygiene? Thats a new one! WTF has that got to do with anything?

PepperJack

Reaction score
Meat or no meat, as long as your getting 1 g of protein for every 2 lbs of body weight per day, you're good to go on your protein--of course this assumes that your body is properly digesting your protein. If you're getting less than that it can contribute to hair loss b/c your body needs amino acids to support hair growth--this info is straight from a doctor I consulted about my hair loss (ND/PhD). However--this very same doctor thinks that soy (a highly estrogenic food) can contribute to hairloss b/c of the estrogen content. He believes estrogen is the real reason men lose their hair, not testosterone.

Also, if you are iron deficient b/c you don't eat red meat--and then don't eat any vegetables or fruits that are rich in iron in place of that or take supplements--then possibly you could be anemic and lose hair, but I think most of us may know this already.

michaelhoffman

Reaction score
I think veg or non veg food has nothing to do with baldness. I have seen bald people who are strictly vegans and some people with long hairs who are totally non vegetarians. In my opinion, the causes related to baldness are hereditary, stress, sleepless nights and such things.

Machiavelli

Reaction score
I am a vegatarian and suffer from hairloss.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
michaelhoffman said:
In my opinion, the causes related to baldness are stress, sleepless nights and such things.

I didn't have any of those problems until I started losing hair on the top of my head.I have also been diagnosed with severe depressive disorder. That I inherited from my dad's side and not his NW1 head of hair.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I know exactly what caused my super aggressive m.p.b, it was genetics plain and simple.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Hasn't it been hypothesized that western diet introduction into Japan drastically effected hair loss rates?

Obsidian

Reaction score
But wouldn't westerners with male pattern baldness mating with the Japanese population also cause male pattern baldness to maybe be the same for them as caucasians?

Besides here in Austin, a lot of people who claim to be vegetarian or vegan in some cases still have terrible diets and are in terrible shape than those I know who eat a balanced diet.