Bald Spot Getting Bigger Despite Steroid Injection?

spackjarrow

My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed a perfectly smooth and round bald spot on my scalp last month. I immediately went to a dermatologist and was told that my alopecia areata was treatable. In fact, some of the hair almost looked like it was broken off!
I received a bunch of steroid injections to my scalp and was sent on my way. I was to return in 3 weeks -- as I'm to get these shots every 3 weeks for 5 months or so.

I've kept close track of that awful spot on my hair. I noticed that the center of the spot def. shows hair regrowth...however, I also think that the overall diameter of the bald spot has gotten a little bit larger.

I'm a bit concerned! Does this mean that the spot will continually get bigger and bigger? Has this ever happened to anybody else?

I'm so upset -- as the bald spot is easily concealable now, but if it gets any bigger, it might not be so easy to hide.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed a perfectly smooth and round bald spot on my scalp last month. I immediately went to a dermatologist and was told that my alopecia areata was treatable. In fact, some of the hair almost looked like it was broken off!
I received a bunch of steroid injections to my scalp and was sent on my way. I was to return in 3 weeks -- as I'm to get these shots every 3 weeks for 5 months or so.

I've kept close track of that awful spot on my hair. I noticed that the center of the spot def. shows hair regrowth...however, I also think that the overall diameter of the bald spot has gotten a little bit larger.

I'm a bit concerned! Does this mean that the spot will continually get bigger and bigger? Has this ever happened to anybody else?

I'm so upset -- as the bald spot is easily concealable now, but if it gets any bigger, it might not be so easy to hide.

I don't have Areata I have Androgenic..BUT i thought I had Areata in the Fall due to a wrong biopsy so I had done a lot of research.

This site is fantastic and you should keep a profile here and check in but if you need immediate answer go onto Facebook they have a private group called alopecia areata..If you cant find it PM me. Its thousands of people with Areata and you can get more responses there to just about any areata question.

In meantime all I can tell you about Areata in my opinion is it can be highly unpredictable and the steroids can trigger a remission but no guarantees. The other group will give you better information and opinions than me.

Wish you luck