Bald for years. Now wearing a good hair system

Masterking

Reaction score
I'm 42. I went bald suddenly at the age of 30. It wasn't through illness. It was the familiar male pattern baldness. But I went from a reasonable head of hair to the 6x9 baldness in about 2 years.

It sucked. :thumbdown2:

For about three years I wore hats, or shaved my head. Then I decided to try a toupee. The first few I bought set me back about $3,000 and they were all hideous. I wore them in the house, and still wore a hat to go outside. That's how bad they were.

I then bought a full cap, but I wasn't happy with it. Don't get me wrong it was a good system but it was hot and sticky and my head didn't feel free.

Then I found a place that advised me to wear my system as if it were my own hair. I know that sounds odd, but what I mean is that I had been dyeing my hair to match my 100% dark black systems. I'm naturally about 50% gray, so I decided to let my own hair color show and have a perfect system to match. No hair dye jobs.

It's the best thing I did. :) My hair is salt and pepper color and looks really natural. Dyed toupees look awful. That's where I'd been going wrong.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
How did you feel about the realism of the full cap? Do you think a full cap is the most realistic looking option?

Grimoire

Reaction score
If you have reasonably good hair density around the perimeter (sides & back), a hairpiece is still your best option. But if you have severe hair loss, patchy hair loss or very light density, a full cap is the way to go.

I have worn both. I decided to stay with hairpieces, but here are my observations about full caps.

1. You will probably get better results sending in measurements than trying to make a template for a full cap. You need to get the measurements right so that the factory knows where to put the cut outs for your ears, sideburns, etc. If a full cap doesn't fit properly, it will bunch up, usually near the crown and won't lie flush against your scalp.

2. Don't try to go with a really short hair style. Your stylist needs to make sure that the hair is long enough to cover the edges of the base, especially along the sides and back.

3. You need to secure the back of the piece properly at the neckline. If it's not attached securely, there will be an obvious gap between the piece and your head. If you have natural hair there and decide not to shave it, make the base a bit longer in the back so that you can tape it down just below your natural hairline. You need to keep an eye on the neckline (and use strong tape) because as you pivot your head back & forth and up & down, it puts stress on the tape and can pull it away from your head.