Baby's first shed

paratroop82504

Reaction score
So I'm 12 weeks on finasteride and have shed about 300 hairs so far today. I understand that I'm right at the point where most people begin their first shed while on finasteride so it wasn't anything I wasn't expecting I typically shed around 100-150 a day (10-20 in sink when I comb my hair, 25-35 on my hands when I shampoo, 50-80 in hair catch in drain). I'm sure there's more throughout the day but I don't notice any additional loss.

I shed around 180 this morn doing my normal routine and didn't think too much of it b/c I didn't shower yesterday and I thought it might be that I shed some of the hairs that I would've shed yesterday.

The thing is I noticed that I'm shedding a lot of hairs from my sides and nape. When I do a pull test in my occipital area I can pull out around 6 hairs each time. I've been able to pull an additional 100 or so telogen hairs from my donor area in the last hour.

I guess my main question is- Is it normal to shed hair from all over the scalp from finasteride?

I've noticed that my I've lost a lot of density from all over my scalp since starting treatment. I've always had extremely thick hair all of my life and I started on the big three within a month of noticing loss so I still have full coverage but I've prob lost around 30% of my density since starting treatments. I'm 33 and really don't have a strong family history of hairloss. My dads 68 and still has full coverage with some normal thinning. All of my uncles on his side of the family still have all of their hair. My grandpa on my moms side was a NW4a but didn't start loosing hair until his late 40's and died last year at 100 with a thicker crown than I currently have. I can't understand what's going on.

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it is very normal to lose hair from all sides when you first start finasteride. I was on finasteride for 7 weeks, but could not tolerate losing so much ground before the growth kicks in. Also, I was depressed and did not like the side effect. I was happy about dropping finasteride because it literally stopped shedding to a dead end. I am sure finasteride is great if you can overcome the first three to six months.