avoiding sides

Cob984

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am on saw palmetto and while you guys might think its crap it definately helps with my hair,
unfortunately the sides exist, it aggravated my pre-existing gyno and i started putting on weight on my stomach and hips for no good reason inspite of the same diet and working out, also compromised my libido to an extent. I know i am not imagining things because even if i get off the dose for a week i see an improvement in all of the above.

The gyno got to the stage where i just underwent surgery 3 weeks ago and am desperate for the sides no to return but also cannot drop the anti-androgen because as soon as I do my hair deteriorates rapidly.

SO my question to you guys is, is there anything to help with these sides while remaining on sawpalmetto or finasteride or any of the antiandrogens.

thanks

Cob984

Established Member
Reaction score
Any advice guys? I saw a few guys took DIM but that seems to have fizzled out, any other recommendations?

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
is your hair worth that much stress! why not just quit the drugs and save up for a hair transplant instead.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
right ok beingbaldsucks, so you think having to undergo surgery for gyno due to hair replacement drugs is worth it! if i had sides like that i would think **** it, no woman wants to see man boobs and low libido, they really don't care that much about hair on our head!

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, if you already have some of the side effects which things like finasteride and saw palmetto can cause then I think you already know the answer to your problem...

In case I am assuming I am saying stop saw palmetto and try an alternative solution. Perhaps use a topical hair loss treatment like minoxidil instead?

I am in relatively good health so I took the plunge and started taking finasteride. If I had any pre-existing conditions such as gyno, erectile problems etc I wouldn't have touched it because such side effects are reported.

I don't mean to scare, but you obviously have issues with hormones already and it you add to the problem you could make yourself seriously ill. Men with gyno are much more likely to develop breast cancer and there's lots of studies which show that having fat around the abdomen (in men) is linked to heart conditions.

However... things I have learned help with side effects from this forum:

- zinc - this helps stop testosterone converting to oestrogen
- exercise (specifically cardio) - lose the fat, it helps with oestrogen levels and makes you healthier in general
- diet - I think you can work this one out yourself
- see a doctor! You obviously have already for the surgery, but did they not address the underlying issues which caused this in the first place?!

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
There have already been clinical trials on who gets sides on these drugs (this one had like 10,000 men in it)

OBJECTIVE
• To identify predictors of sexual dysfunction using baseline data from the reduction by dutasteride (same class as Propecia) of prostate cancer events (REDUCE) study.

CONCLUSIONS
Age, IPSS (quality of life), BMI and diabetes/glucose intolerance,
but not serum testosterone or TPV, were significant independent predictors of sexual dysfunction in the REDUCE study population.
• The lack of association between sexual dysfunction and serum testosterone questions the value of modestly reduced or low normal testosterone levels as criteria for choosing testosterone replacement in older men with sexual dysfunction.

Being fat, unhealthy and depressed = Propecia sides

Cob984

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok here, from my other thread

Noticed thinning september 2011

October results: (started saw palmetto right after this)
testosterone - 510
didnt measure estrogen

March 2012 (6 months into saw palmetto)
testosterone - 400
estradiol - 94 ( 0-141 pmol/L is normal range)

september 2012 (1 year into saw palmetto)
testosterone - 444
estradiol - 152 ( 0-141 pmol/L is normal range)

So before the surgery i got my prolactin levels checked which is the main cause of gyno, they were normal, I did not develop gyno due to saw palmetto, it already existed as a remnant from puberty and just got aggravated
This is the first time any of my hormone levels have crossed the 'safe zone'. I dont know what to do now , though i am thinking cutting soymilk from my diet could be a start.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
if your worried about hormone levels then i can say with a 99% confidence (from many many many studies) that yoga will fix that. i've added yoga to my workout routine and i'm pretty sure its helped raise my testosterone levels -
i've uploaded my before and after blood work - so u can see the increase

Attachments

• 2012-09-14 15.32.33.jpg
    2012-09-14 15.32.33.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 192

Cob984

Established Member
Reaction score
really? just by yoga? ok ill take a look, how do you start the stuff though? do you have to take classes or you can do it by yourself.

Today i have started supplementing my saw palmetto with ZMA and DIM in smaller doses to begin with.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
i just downloaded the yoga for dummies part 1 and 2 and started doing the poses in my bedroom.

B

Beingbaldsucksass

right ok beingbaldsucks, so you think having to undergo surgery for gyno due to hair replacement drugs is worth it! if i had sides like that i would think **** it, no woman wants to see man boobs and low libido, they really don't care that much about hair on our head!

I had little gyno on 1 mg per day dose and I changed it to every other day and no sides, so your a scum.

Besides all h'ts are ****ty and mostly failing

Cob984

Established Member
Reaction score
I had little gyno on 1 mg per day dose and I changed it to every other day and no sides, so your a scum.

Besides all h'ts are ****ty and mostly failing

More importantly did that gyno completely disappear or has it just not aggravated? I am considering finasteride myself since my hair is maintaining less than before on sawpalmetto but i would think I have to get my estrogen levels in order first

B

Beingbaldsucksass

Was 1mg every 2 days enough to stop hairloss for you?

I'm only 3 months in treatment but Im shedding what means that it's working, because hairs moved up to anagen fast, at the same time im starting to see thickninng in the middle

- - - Updated - - -

More importantly did that gyno completely disappear or has it just not aggravated? I am considering finasteride myself since my hair is maintaining less than before on sawpalmetto but i would think I have to get my estrogen levels in order first

Gyno dissaperd quickly about one week after changing the dose, it wasent that big anyway, you couldn't notice it with shirt on. Taking saw palmetto is a stupid idea, you have way more risk in taking it then finasteride

- - - Updated - - -

You Wally! Im outta here, no point talking to idiots who don't wanna chat properly.
Stop spreading bull**** all over on things you don't understand, then well chat properly

Cob984

Established Member
Reaction score
Gyno dissaperd quickly about one week after changing the dose, it wasent that big anyway, you couldn't notice it with shirt on. Taking saw palmetto is a stupid idea, you have way more risk in taking it then finasteride

Why is that? people i speak with call it a milder natural finasteride, not trying to disprove you but let me know why you think its more risky? thanks

B

Beingbaldsucksass

Why is that? people i speak with call it a milder natural finasteride, not trying to disprove you but let me know why you think its more risky? thanks

Cuz it's taking an ingridient that is not checked and approved