Attention all new minoxidil users!

nostromo

Reaction score
Just an observation, and my personal experience....
This stuff is pretty much sh*t, in any form, or brand or concentration.
Sorry to say....
I have been religiously sparying it onto my head for six months now, morning and night, and see no improvement whatsoever.
I initially thought it was improving, and that my hair was really growing back, but no.
So much stuff on this forum about "shall I spread it with a matchstick?"...or
"will using a spay on deoderant affect the absobtion or chemical balance of minoxidil?" Etc etc . None of this stuff makes a scrap of difference! ITS JUST SOME SILLY LIQUID!!! IT WILL NOT GIVE YOU BEAUTIFUL HAIR AGAIN !!!
I have no shaved my head again, and feel so much happier!
I wish I had listened to those who cautioned "it might well not promote any new hair growth..." but I chose to ignore those posts! I expected something close to miraculous I think, even though I was told not to expect it on this forum. Again, I chose to ignore, or thought I was different!
So if you want to use it, just slap the crap on your head-with a paint brush if u want. It wont make any difference!
:D

Goingat20

Reaction score
Minoxidil seems to help certain responders only, that seems to be also the case with propecia. Ive been using minoxidil for over 6 months and hair isnt better, nostromo have you at least maintained?

nostromo

Reaction score
I guess you could say I have maintained....
For me, I don't care enough to warrant spraying chemicals onto my head twice a day merely to maintain what I have.
I simply can't be bothered with it, and with giving the money to a drugs company to chase after something that ain't going to happen.
I will spend the money on something fun!!!
:lol:

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah..I know...I think I made a big mistake starting minoxidil... :cry: I have lost so much hair in the last 13 days of shedding. The problem is I cant leave it now...Some people had sheds and then regrowth. I am just hoping it gives me some regrowth...atleast the hair it took away from me :(

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Guys, it will come back after the sheds. It might require several cycles. Two steps forward, one step back. Those steps may require more than 6 months, so I wouldn't stop on that basis alone...nor is it accurate to assert that the drug doesn't work. It certainly does for a lot of people.

However, I would stop for the reason you cite. It's not that important to you and that's fantastic. I applaud you for your attitude and that you've achieved mind over matter. Hopefully some others will take something away from your healthy psyche. There's more to life than hair...MUCH more.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
hey hey, just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean you should tell everyone to stay away from it. For people thinking of trying minoxidil, just go ahead and do it. The side effects aren't serious and the worst that can happen is it won't work for you.

I've been using it for 2 months now and have been very pleased with the results. And don't worry about the sheds either. I freaked out too when I started noticing my hair getting thinner, but a few weeks later I experienced pretty good regrowth of thicker hair.

nostromo

Reaction score
Firstly, I think you misunderstand. I am not "trying to deter others." I am simply stating my experience-I found this most useful when I first visited this forum.
Secondly, I am rather surprised that you are "pleased" with the results after only two months or less!
If you are really seeing results, congratualations!
I posted on here after a few months to say that I was noticing changes. Trouble is, I thought they were the start of something amazing, and nothing got any better than that first tiny improvement. I left my hair alone, and didn't examine it every day to catch sight of microscopic signs of growth, as was suggested. Six months down the line, the most charitable word I can think of is "underwhelming."
Just be prepared is all I'm saying ...

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Well when you say stuff like, "ITS JUST SOME SILLY LIQUID!!! IT WILL NOT GIVE YOU BEAUTIFUL HAIR AGAIN !!!" or "So if you want to use it, just slap the crap on your head-with a paint brush if u want. It wont make any difference!".... it kinda comes across as you detering others from using it, but whatever... it's good that you're sharing your experience though to let others know that it ain't perfect.

As for my results.... relatively speaking, yes, I am "pleased" with my results but that's considering that I've only been using it for less than 2 months. It's not anything drastic, but I know for sure that it's legitimate improvements. I'm not just getting a few hairs that pop up around the hairline, I've actually increased the density and thickness of my hair in the thinning areas I apply it to.

But who knows, maybe all the improvements I made now will probably deminish in due time.... but even if that happens, I still won't regret trying it out.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nostromo said:
Firstly, I think you misunderstand. I am not "trying to deter others." I am simply stating my experience-I found this most useful when I first visited this forum.
Secondly, I am rather surprised that you are "pleased" with the results after only two months or less!
If you are really seeing results, congratualations!
I posted on here after a few months to say that I was noticing changes. Trouble is, I thought they were the start of something amazing, and nothing got any better than that first tiny improvement. I left my hair alone, and didn't examine it every day to catch sight of microscopic signs of growth, as was suggested. Six months down the line, the most charitable word I can think of is "underwhelming."
Just be prepared is all I'm saying ...

of course your trying to deter others!! read your first god damn post! what you dont realise like some people say, when sum1 gets GREAT success with something they dont tend to come back to the board, so we dont hear those stories. also if its maintained ur hair, if u do not ant to stay on it i think that is ridiculous!

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairhaircomeagain said:
Yeah..I know...I think I made a big mistake starting minoxidil... :cry: I have lost so much hair in the last 13 days of shedding. The problem is I cant leave it now...Some people had sheds and then regrowth. I am just hoping it gives me some regrowth...atleast the hair it took away from me :(

man, all iv heard on this board is about how sheds mean new thicker hair is growing through beneath. stick with it. it wont happen overnight.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
Guys, it will come back after the sheds. It might require several cycles. Two steps forward, one step back. Those steps may require more than 6 months, so I wouldn't stop on that basis alone...nor is it accurate to assert that the drug doesn't work. It certainly does for a lot of people.

However, I would stop for the reason you cite. It's not that important to you and that's fantastic. I applaud you for your attitude and that you've achieved mind over matter. Hopefully some others will take something away from your healthy psyche. There's more to life than hair...MUCH more.

at the moment i feel there isnt more to life than hair. ino thas a bad mentality to be in but i cant get out of it right now.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
ANDREW_J_I said:
at the moment i feel there isnt more to life than hair. ino thas a bad mentality to be in but i cant get out of it right now.

I know, a lot of guys go through it...but when you think about how much emphasis you're placing on something so trivial in the grand scheme, it will make you step back. You're directing all your energy on one thing and it's consuming you. If it wasn't hair loss, I venture to say it'd be something else. You need to get some perspective.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
There are a number of things that draw attention away from hairloss.

Taking a step back from obsessing about your hairloss is totally a good thing... Find something to take away your mental troubles... Concentrate.

Go to Starbucks, get a frappucino, and savor the taste, the lighting, and get a newspaper or something.

Get into a frame of mind that will remove you from hairloss.

Having hairloss doesn't make you any less of a person.

Not at all.

G

Aplunk1 said:
There are a number of things that draw attention away from hairloss.

Taking a step back from obsessing about your hairloss is totally a good thing... Find something to take away your mental troubles... Concentrate.

Go to Starbucks, get a frappucino, and savor the taste, the lighting, and get a newspaper or something.

Get into a frame of mind that will remove you from hairloss.

Having hairloss doesn't make you any less of a person.

Not at all.

It's easy to second that when about 70% of white males suffer from hairloss at some point in their life. I'd dare to say that balding is getting more and more common, because the genes mix up and increasing number of men will have the "balding gene" from both of their parents.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm just bewildered at all the results you guys get. I get depressed about my hair too, but for some reason i guess i'm just not counting hairs. i don't notice any sheds. When i first started minoxidil, it took me a while to build self discipline and do it twice a day. after a month or so, when i established the pattern, it took me another two months to get some long vellus hairs in my left temple. They were about 3/4 of an inch long. then i stopped, and they were gone in a few weeks. i did it again, and got the same results. then i stopped again for hair grafts, and grafts in that area, have not seen the hairs since, but think I might be seeing something going on over there now that i've started again. hard to tell with the grafts in the way. the few years before i started propecia, i think i had a sudden hair loss acceleration, which stopped when i took propecia. it is hard for me to tell if my hair is thicker or thinner since i did not take pictures and my length has varied. I hope it has not gotten worse. it has been 3 years. i want to thinken it, but if i can maintain my top until a better drug comes out in 5 years i'll be happy. i'm trying to strike a balance between finding a cure and living my life. but since having hair determines how i can live my life, that means I have to sacrifice even more of my life to find the cure. it is a gamble. if you choose to take what you got and forget the hair, then i wish the best for you. i've been reading this forum and many sites 16 hours a day for the last week or so.

CCS

Reaction score
$6 a month won't stop anyone from having fun. if you want to swim or go get that woman to put her hand in your hair, you can wash it out any time as long as you put it back in. it does not take time out of my day to put it on. if you have not lost any hair, then good for you, but if you want to stop, then you can do that too. Just remember that loosing your hair is permenant.

And here's something offensive for everyone here:

on minoxidil.com, under the xandrox ad, it says that hairloss today is a choice, not a fate, because now we have xandrox.
it also says in the myth busting section of the site that there are no cures for hair loss, only treatments that post pone it.