At What Point On finasteride Should You Worry About Hyperandrogenicity?

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried to get of finasteride eight months ago. I tapered down from .5 mg to .25 mg and after 7 days on .25 mg I lost years worth of hair overnight and all of my hair significantly miniaturized within days. Chunks of hair just vanished from the nape area. It was absolute destruction. If it didn't happen to me I wouldn't believe it. For people that experience accelerated hairloss on finasteride can be completely screwed by this drug. It seems logical that a hairloss drug that speeds up hairloss should be discontinued, right? Not necessarily so with finasteride because it can super sensitize hair follicles to DHT so when someone quits the drug hairloss goes into overdrive. The hairloss/miniaturization that I experienced in days is way beyond anything I could have ever imagined. .25 mg is supposed to still inhibit a significant amount of DHT, so even the tiniest amount of DHT was able to cause this, which obviously proves that finasteride can change the way one's hair follicles respond to DHT.
Finasteride has ccelerated minor hairloss for me what should I do?

Mr SideEffect

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's your dose? I was on 1.25 mg for 15 months or so and tapered down to .5 mg and didn't notice anything really, seems like things got slightly better but I'm not really sure. I was on .5 mg for six months before this disaster happened.

I would say that I represent a pretty extreme example of increased sensitivity to DHT from finasteride but even I was doing ok on .5 mg.
Hi there am really happy for you that your hair looks better after you quited that discusting drug, i hope you can help me out here, So my story is am 20 years old i had hair shedding before finasteride then whent on finas taught it would stop the hair loss had still really thick strong hair but no it mate evrything 3x worse the sides the back on top litterly evrywhere got 3x worse,am on it for 4 month now experienced oily skin, oily scalp,itchy burning scalp,increased facial hair, So without a doubt i have reflex my hair loss got so much worse and it never stopt, Now am slowly getting off the drug i took 1 Mg for 3 month after that, A half mg for 2 weeks,0,25 for 2 weeks after that i took 0,25 evry second day for a week then evry 3rd day and now evry 4rd day so that my hormones can get naturaly back to his normal state, my itchy scalp whent away while am getting off the drug my whent also lower maybe its because its bouncing up and down as am quiting the drug slowy but the oily skin, oily scalp,but my morning erection never whent away wich i never had before finasteride because my testostorne got a on natural boost, i hope you have any tips for me and if there is a chance that my hair CAN survive, and if i should use minoxidil after quiting, PS sorry for my bad english :confused: O and it would be am miracle if you replyd back becuase its almost 5 years ago XD but am gonne pray to God so you see my post:p If you reply i hope you can tell me if your is better after the drug or not

Mr SideEffect

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's your dose? I was on 1.25 mg for 15 months or so and tapered down to .5 mg and didn't notice anything really, seems like things got slightly better but I'm not really sure. I was on .5 mg for six months before this disaster happened.

I would say that I represent a pretty extreme example of increased sensitivity to DHT from finasteride but even I was doing ok on .5 mg.
oh wait its 2 years ago i see now holy there is Hope!!!

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1) if you have increased itching, burning, crawling, etc... on finasteride, then it's not f*****g working. basic logic. NO drug that's supposed to STOP hair loss should inflame the scalp.

2) if after 6-9 months your hair is noticeably thinner, then it's not working. "shedding phase" my ***.

I watched my crown / midscalp get almost completely obliterated throughout my 12 months on finasteride. it's over a year after quitting the garbage and none of it has grown back. FINALLY, after about a year, the crawling / tingling, pulsing heart beat in my scalp is slowing, but who the hell knows.

People need to REALLY REALLY consider that the "studies" on Propecia may not be as accurate as we assume. The drug is complete f*****g garbage for A LOT of people. just read through all the threads.
Add estrogen ...ul regrow hair that u have lost

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had hyper too. Increased body hair, facial hair grew faster, oily scalp and face, itch scalp, shedding was insane. I too noticed hairs that were thicker at the end and thinner at the root. I swear my ear was clogged with wax for three days straight even after trying to rinse it out with medication. I never had that happen before. I kept looking up on these forums about increased body hair on finasteride but 99% of the results talk about people getting the decrease, which means it's working, so I was perplexed. I thought to myself well maybe it's just a second or third shed like a few people mentioned, but it continued from 6 months, to one year, and 18 months still had this stuff happening. There were some phases when the body hair would shed, but then it kept growing back thicker. So weird, but true.