At What Point Do I Bring In minoxidil to the Equation?

mbehr22

Established Member
Reaction score
I just started mo 5 on 1mg propecia/day ...

Ive been told I am a Norwood 1.5

i dont like how thin the temples are getting.

and now it seems as though the bulk of my shedding is coming from the top towards the front of my scalp ... the crown 'seems' to have lessened a good bit so far

I dont want to be dependent on minoxidil, esp if I can still see results just on propecia

how long is too long to wait?

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I originally wanted to wait 12 months so that I could see exactly what finasteride was doing for me alone but have also started thinking about introducing minoxidil earlier as finasteride has been great at stabalizing/ slowing the loss but I'm doubting it will give me the amount of regrowth that I personally need to be satisfied, maybe I'm starting to get a little impatient for noticable regrowth but all I know is that phase 1 has been a great success and I'm excited about venturing into phase 2.

mbehr22

Established Member
Reaction score

when you say youve seen results, please elaborate ..

im just began mo 5 on propecia

it seems the back may have stabilized, but the front seems even more volitile now ...

what stage are you ... thinning in back/front/??

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mbehr22 said:
I just started mo 5 on 1mg propecia/day ...

Ive been told I am a Norwood 1.5

i dont like how thin the temples are getting.

and now it seems as though the bulk of my shedding is coming from the top towards the front of my scalp ... the crown 'seems' to have lessened a good bit so far

I dont want to be dependent on minoxidil, esp if I can still see results just on propecia

Do you have any pics? Where would you want to apply the minoxidil, the top of your head? Unless you really need to maybe wait to see fins full potential.
The top of my head sheds like mad but im only using minoxidil on the temples and hairline and hopeing that finasteride helps with the rest

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
UK78 said:
I originally wanted to wait 12 months so that I could see exactly what finasteride was doing for me alone but have also started thinking about introducing minoxidil earlier as finasteride has been great at stabalizing/ slowing the loss but I'm doubting it will give me the amount of regrowth that I personally need to be satisfied, maybe I'm starting to get a little impatient for noticable regrowth but all I know is that phase 1 has been a great success and I'm excited about venturing into phase 2.

You are wise. Don't be like Taug. If you wait 12 months before you start minoxidil, then 12 months from now you will be like, damn why didn't I start minoxidil 12 months ago I could have had a full head of hair.

I promise, the foam is so easy to use its the simplest thing ever.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The results that I saw was my hair pretty much stabalizing and that's it, at the point that I started my hair was being ravaged and I was losing noticable density from week to week, I was certain that my hair would be unsalvagable by next year and gave it a go out of desperation, so far I couldn't really have asked for more, regrowth was always going to be an added bonus and I may still get some from it further down the line but I need to push it to the next level to make sure that I'm maximizing my potential. I am thinning across the whole top but most noticably at the front.

WoW-

I went for it and bought a 3 month supply, looking forward to trying it. :)

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Since its sunday, you can wait until monday.

Or you can worry about the 5 minutes you will need to apply minoxidil, and for the rest 23h55m about how bad your hair is.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
UK78 said:
The results that I saw was my hair pretty much stabalizing and that's it, at the point that I started my hair was being ravaged and I was losing noticable density from week to week, I was certain that my hair would be unsalvagable by next year and gave it a go out of desperation, so far I couldn't really have asked for more, regrowth was always going to be an added bonus and I may still get some from it further down the line but I need to push it to the next level to make sure that I'm maximizing my potential. I am thinning across the whole top but most noticably at the front.

WoW-

I went for it and bought a 3 month supply, looking forward to trying it. :)

Awsome bro. I am on the big three myself.

Our next step is to get on advodart. It is superior to finastride.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
mbehr22 said:

What makes you think it's possible to "wait too long"?

Bryan

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
mbehr22 said:

What makes you think it's possible to "wait too long"?

Bryan

I notice that you like to toss around one line questions without ever explaining why you asked them. For example: I started a thread which led to the question of if 5 mg of finastride once every four days was better than 1.25 daily. This was from a graph you provided. You never responded or even gave further insight to why you asked your question. No offense, but its not a great way to gain information to people who are trying to learn.

He most likely thinks its possible to wait too long because of the obvious fact that people who are younger respond better to treatments. I have read this many many many times over. I mean, if you wait until you are a slick bald NW7, do you think you will have just as good chance to become NW1 than if you started treatments when you were a NW2?

Moreover, another fact that makes it possible to wait too long is the fact that its easier to maintain your hair then it is to expect regrowth.