Are there more alopecia treatments looming than I thought?!

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
Naminidil is mentioned in that article you wanted in the other thread. It is being tested now against minoxidil (it's probably going for similar mechanizem).

I've googled the first drug (Anti-interferon-gamma polyclonal antibody), and i think it mentioned with relation to alopecia areata (hope I'm wrong and it will be good for us too).

abcdefg

Reaction score
yeah the companies know male pattern baldness is a big money maker. It has a lot of money to be made. The problem so far has been the treatments thus far kinda suck. rogaine has sold better because its OTC and has no sexual sides its pretty common knowledge you can go buy it. A lot of guys dont even know about propecia plus sexual sides plus its a prescription drug for life. None of the treatments up to today are all that impressive hence the sales not to impressive. You regrow massive amounts of hair or completely halt all hairloss even the temples and front and I promise it will make very large amounts of money.

Pondle

Reaction score
I suppose consumers are looking for regrowth rather than just maintenance. If you look at the Propecia 5 yr study, the drug's results are impressive when set against the constant decline in hair counts suffered by the placebo group. However, your average guy taking Propecia will probably simply assume that his hair loss might have stabilised anyway - if he can't see new hairs then he might conclude, wrongly, that the drug has had no effect. Perhaps that's why GSK planned to give people a 6 month 2.5mg/day loading dose for their Phase III Avodart hair loss trials, simply to maximise short term regrowth.

I think there's also an issue of market awareness, though this doesn't apply in the US and other countries, like New Zealand, where pharmaceutical companies are allowed to advertise directly to consumers. In Europe, this is prohibited, so most balding men - and even most GPs - don't even know Propecia exists.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Your totaly right about doctors in the UK. I went to see one about 4 years ago and he told me there were no treatments for male pattern baldness. I questioned this and said i'd been reading about a drug called Propecia on the internet. He told me he didn't know anything about it and by the sound of things I knew a lot more then he did.

I changed doctors a while later and the new one asked me if I was on any medication... I replied 'yes propecia' to which he responded 'why are you putting that sh*t in your body?!'. This freaked me out and I stopped taking it for 2 years, my hair loss got much worse, i'm now on dutasteride and rogaine foam and have improved massively, but I doubt i'll ever get back to where I was before the doctor wrongly frightened me off taking Propecia.

Now if a doctor asks if i'm on any medication (even though I now have another new Doctor) I just say no.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same situation recently...
my doctor had never heard of proscar/finasteride and told me there are "no treatments available"