Are there any stores that carry flaxseed oil?

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to up my intake to 6 grams a day, I'm currently taking 3 grams a day of softgels from gnc. But I was wondering if you could find a bottle of actual flaxseed oil (not pills) in a grocery store or something. It would probably be a lot cheaper that way.

G

Yes you can. Actually my mother takes some flaxseed oil. She gets it at this store called "Whole Foods" and another store called "Trader Joes." I'm sure you can find it at some grocery stores. But i heard that flax oil is not reccommended for men because it "may" increases the chance of prostate cancer. But flax seeds are ok. I remember reading that somewhere, not sure, you might want to read up inoto that.[/u][/b][/i]

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i guess I'll try to hunt some down in a grocery store.

And yes I have read that the omega 3 fatty acids in the oil may contribute to prostate cancer, but the oil also contains omega 6 which is actually good for the prostate. But who really knows for sure.

Your suppose to have only about 2 to 4 times omega 6 in your diet as omega 3 but the average American diet has like 14 to 20 times as much 6 as 3. Flaxseed oil contains them both just a lot more 3 than 6, so the recommended dosage is like 6 grams per day of the oil to bring the omega 6/omega 3 ratio closer to ideal. I figured if I stuck to that amount I shouldn't have to worry about cancer.

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the links Cassin, but I just did some research on flaxseed and fish oil and I'm going to go with the fish oil. Its seems that the omega 3 ALA in flaxseed is very bad for the prostate according to a lot of reports. However the omega 3 EPA and DHA from fish oil is actually good for the prostate. I just don't want to take something that could be bad down the road. I hate fish and don't eat any at all, so I think that's the way I'm going.

However, I can't find any info that would indicate fish oil would work for the hair. But at least I'll get the health benefits of fish without the nasty taste.

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
O.K. I'm going to do so more research on the flaxseeds but I'm certainly going to stay away from the oil.

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going with the flaxseeds (not the oil) along with the fish oil. I've found some recent info that says that the lignans in faxseed are good for the prostate. They should be good for the hair as well because they bind to testosterone and actually lower T levels. Lower T=lower dht. The root cause of hair loss for most of us is probably too high T levels. Check these articles out.

http://www.prostatecanceralternatives.c ... arkers.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/21/flaxseed.htm

http://www.altpenis.com/penis_news/2002 ... _sys.shtml

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I've just added the walgreens milled flaxseeds to my diet. Sprinkle them on some cheerios, or over some yogurt. Tastes pretty good too.