Are Most Of The Finasteride Detractors Wimps?

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting there isn't reasoned and legitimate criticism of finasteride, but it seems like its most virulent detractors have either never taken it (most likely because they're too scared) or backed out ("bottled it" as we say in England) at the first sign of negative side effects.

Are most finasteride detractors of a nervous disposition?

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I took finasteride for a year and 4 months.

I didn't see any improvement at all with it and I do still have a decent amount of hair left (enough to hide any thinning except for a spot on the crown.)

I did have sides for a couple of months but they subsided for me. I was pretty brave at the time so I told myself I'd hold out for a year before quitting if sides persisted.

The reason I got off of it is because I was spending money to take a pill that alters some of my natural body chemistry with no guarantee of any result.

I know there's generic propecia and all, but I also don't have any way of knowing if finasteride (regardless of where I got it) even worked or not. I either wasn't a responder, or I didn't notice the results. What's to say I would've had less hair if I wouldn't have taken it for that year and 4 months?

I don't argue for or against it. People can do whatever they want, this is just the reason I chose to quit.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting there isn't reasoned and legitimate criticism of finasteride, but it seems like its most virulent detractors have either never taken it (most likely because they're too scared) or backed out ("bottled it" as we say in England) at the first sign of negative side effects.

There may be some truth to what you say but I think it's a bit harsh to call someone a wimp because they have legitimate concerns about taking finasteride. Deciding to go on finasteride is quite a big decision for several reasons (cost, sides) and ther's nothing wrong with being "scared" or "backing out" especially if the person has done their research properly and fully understands the pros and cons.
I've been on the drug for over a year with some success but I admit that I had to think very hard about it first.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

There's nothing wrong with being concerned about very serious side effects. We also lack good information as to who is most susceptible.

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with deliberating about starting finasteride, I'm referring to the people who say it's sh*t, ineffective, etc. when they've never tried it or did so only briefly.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with deliberating about starting finasteride, I'm referring to the people who say it's sh*t, ineffective, etc. when they've never tried it or did so only briefly.

Well then they're not wimps they're just wrong. Leaving aside side effects, the expected performance of finasteride is to do slightly better than maintenance, demonstrated by multiple studies.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I took finasteride for a year and 4 months.

I didn't see any improvement at all with it and I do still have a decent amount of hair left (enough to hide any thinning except for a spot on the crown.)

I did have sides for a couple of months but they subsided for me. I was pretty brave at the time so I told myself I'd hold out for a year before quitting if sides persisted.

The reason I got off of it is because I was spending money to take a pill that alters some of my natural body chemistry with no guarantee of any result.

I know there's generic propecia and all, but I also don't have any way of knowing if finasteride (regardless of where I got it) even worked or not. I either wasn't a responder, or I didn't notice the results. What's to say I would've had less hair if I wouldn't have taken it for that year and 4 months?

I don't argue for or against it. People can do whatever they want, this is just the reason I chose to quit.
How long ago did you quit? Did you notice any increase in hair loss after quitting?

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on it 3 years. Very disappointed with the results. Works wonders for some though.

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well then they're not wimps they're just wrong. Leaving aside side effects, the expected performance of finasteride is to do slightly better than maintenance, demonstrated by multiple studies.

When you say slightly better than maintenance I assume you mean some regrowth can usually be expected?

I've been on it 3 years. Very disappointed with the results. Works wonders for some though.

What have your results been?

NamelessGhoul

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
there's nothing wimpy about not wanting to take a drug that alters your hormones. I guess the issue comes down to the fact that you can't control whether or not you get side effects, and to what degree. That's my opinion on it, anyway

shookwun

Reaction score
Not wimps, just misinform and in most cases mislead by bullshit.

yet most have no problem with going on anxiety and SSRI related drugs :rolleyes:

finasteride... :D

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd never use it because I've had history with gynocomastia growing up, and it destroyed my social life and confidence. Any chance of that coming back is even more unwelcome than balding to me.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd never use it because I've had history with gynocomastia growing up, and it destroyed my social life and confidence. Any chance of that coming back is even more unwelcome than balding to me.
You also aren't losing your hair, so there is no reason to be on finasteride.

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You also aren't losing your hair, so there is no reason to be on finasteride.

I'm just saying for the future. I have a fair amount of hairloss in my family so there's a reasonable chance I might need to seek treatment at some point.