approaching my 18th birthday , looking for diagnosis and medication advices

abdo123

Reaction score
so basically my father is completely hairless on the crown, with my other 6 years and 9 years older brothers having hairloss and with me being the hairiest between them as in facial and body hair (as in more testrone) i was kinda afraid

my mom is a dermatologist, Thanks to her i'm much more aware to my hair loss way before any real damage have been done, she is also bald gene free in all of her family

this is me at the moment : http://imgur.com/a/AiIqs

i've been using topical minoxidil for 6 months on the front side of my hair (mainly the empty corners) but lately i've been spraying lofty amounts of it and leaning my head backwards for it to spread to the back of my head (not in the same amount ofcourse)

i'm on oral cystine (which is a part a anti-hair fall complex i'm taking as pills) for 45 days

what i want to know is :

1- is this Androgenic alopecia for sure ? i'm still in denial
2- can someone diagnose in what stage i'm in and what is the pattern of my hair loss
3- is it possible to retain the hair in the corners of my front side?

also :

is it too early to start using finasteride ? since i'm only 2 days away of my 18th birthday

am i applying minoxidil incorrectly ?

now that i'm past the shedding stage of minoxidil would i expect another shedding stage if i applied mino to other areas? or took finasteride ?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mothers a dermatologist is probably the next best thing to a hair transplant surgeon. Hairline looks strong, looks to be some thinning on the top or it just unkempt. Your still relatively early imo and you don't need to wait to be 18 to start finasteride there are guys here who are taking finasteride/dutasteride and are 17. Sooner the better.