Anyone Tried Repairing A Hair System

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have this piece which I hate to retire, (not ready yet, but planning ahead)

It has a separate frontal piece which I would like to replace using a stock unit. (Example pic attached)

My questions.
1- Has anyone here done this?
2- if so, how do you weld the lace to the poly?

I know I can send it out for repairs but want to try this out on my own...a real DIY
images (1).jpeg

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have this piece which I hate to retire, (not ready yet, but planning ahead)

It has a separate frontal piece which I would like to replace using a stock unit. (Example pic attached)

My questions.
1- Has anyone here done this?
2- if so, how do you weld the lace to the poly?

I know I can send it out for repairs but want to try this out on my own...a real DIY
View attachment 139121

I believe lace is usually joined with poly by brushing the liquid poly solution over the lace when the foundation is made. I've seen a factory video on youtube of this, if I find it I'll add it.

Afterwards, it would be much more difficult.

You could potentially keep a few rows of the lace attached, and then use that to join a new piece of lace. To do that, you would "whip" the lace together with invisible nylon thread and a ventilation needle. Check out this video:

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe lace is usually joined with poly by brushing the liquid poly solution over the lace when the foundation is made. I've seen a factory video on youtube of this, if I find it I'll add it.

Afterwards, it would be much more difficult.

You could potentially keep a few rows of the lace attached, and then use that to join a new piece of lace. To do that, you would "whip" the lace together with invisible nylon thread and a ventilation needle. Check out this video:
Thanks. Good idea, keeping a few mils of lace and sewing new frontal to it would be much easier. Wish I could ventilate, still need practice, so will try sewing with fine nylon thread.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have done repairs on both lace and UTS systems. On lace I have both sewn and patched (glued and sewn). On UTS, just patched.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have done repairs on both lace and UTS systems. On lace I have both sewn and patched (glued and sewn). On UTS, just patched.
Thanks BB,
what type of glue did you use and how long did the lace stayed glued to poly?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks BB,
what type of glue did you use and how long did the lace stayed glued to poly?

No, I didn't glue lace to poly. I patched using Lace Frint Thin, covered with 1-sided 3m Transpore surgical tape (clear). The #M tape on top is slightly larger than the Lace Front Thin patch below.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I used a needle and thread to do a repair on an old piece where there was a small rip away from the poly near the back.

It was more in way of an experiment, but I did wear it for 3 weeks after.