Anyone Studying Oxytocin?

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
Has any research been done trying to use either topical or injectable oxytocin for male pattern baldness? As some of you may know, there is exciting research out of Irina Conboy's group at Berkeley that shows daily subcutaneous injections of oxytocin regenerates both muscles and neurons in old mice. The old mice in effect become younger, or at least repair tissues in a way closer to a younger mouse. The hypothesis is that oxytocin injections into scalp tissue might cause a similar enhanced generation of tissue, in this case hair follicles. There might be some activation of scalp stem cells as well.

Since injections are a riskier procedure, it would be interesting to see if topical oxytocin alone would have any effect. The hypothesis would be that the topical oxytocin might get into hair follicles and stimulate regeneration, at least partly.

Oxytocin is FDA approved and is used in veterinary and human medicine, and it's typical application as an injectable is for inducing labor in females. While there is no approval for hair loss, the side effect of the historical use is that oxytocin is CHEAP. How to get oxytocin is a harder question. I'm not sure how easily a non medical professional could obtain the veterinary version for topical use. Maybe others can comment on that?

P.S., do NOT confuse this with the inhaled versions of oxytocin, most of which are just frauds. First, they are hugely expensive for sub-clinical doses, and second there is no proof they work for any application.

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
I read about Oxytocin could help Autism, and on reading I found out it improves social relationships and emotion. Did not know it could regenerate or reduce ageing.

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey man,
just saw this post now.
I've been doing some research on oxytocin and its effects on hair, but what has me even more captivated in the potential therapeutic benefits Melatonin might have on hair growth: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3681103/.

Sorry to derail the thread. But that study did seem very interesting. Specifically "Using a digital software-supported epiluminescence technique (TrichoScan) in 35 men with Androgenetic Alopecia, after 3 and 6 months in 54.8% to 58.1% of the patients a significant increase of hair density of 29% and 41%"

It also said no changes in serum Melatonin were measured. I wonder exactly what the topical was made of.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey man,
just saw this post now.
I've been doing some research on oxytocin and its effects on hair, but what has me even more captivated in the potential therapeutic benefits Melatonin might have on hair growth: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3681103/.

NOW makes a melatonin solution that is 100 mcg per drop. I guess we can add that to minoxidil.

Anyone have any thoughts on appropriate dose in micrograms to put on hair once each day? The dosing in those studies is picograms per milliliter.

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to derail the thread. But that study did seem very interesting. Specifically "Using a digital software-supported epiluminescence technique (TrichoScan) in 35 men with Androgenetic Alopecia, after 3 and 6 months in 54.8% to 58.1% of the patients a significant increase of hair density of 29% and 41%"

It also said no changes in serum Melatonin were measured. I wonder exactly what the topical was made of.

I would be more than happy to converse over this, it seems quite promising.
I've ordered liquid melatonin (http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/natrol-melatonin-sleep-aid-1-mg-2-fl-oz/no-1245#.VqMjX16Xoqc) and plan to make a 0.5% solution.

tangled

Reaction score
I read into melatonin as well and picked up a months supply of asatex.

Haven't started it yet, since I have yet to hear anyone using it. I was actually hoping to add it with a few more things and try them all at once.

Still searching on what to combine it with.

Gold Top

Reaction score
The hypothesis is that oxytocin injections into scalp tissue might cause a similar enhanced generation of tissue, in this case hair follicles. There might be some activation of scalp stem cells as well.

This science website says that men with male pattern baldness have higher amounts of Stem Cell Factor (SCF) around the hair follicles of the beard than non-balding men. I'm not sure if that means bald men have less SCF in the scalp?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695167/

It also mentions that baldness creates fine 'de-pigmented 'vellus hair' that have less melatonin than ordinary hair.

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This science website says that men with male pattern baldness have higher amounts of Stem Cell Factor (SCF) around the hair follicles of the beard than non-balding men. I'm not sure if that means bald men have less SCF in the scalp?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695167/

It also mentions that baldness creates fine 'de-pigmented 'vellus hair' that have less melatonin than ordinary hair.
You might be getting "Melatonin" confused with "Melanin", the latter being responsible for pigmentation.

Abu Hairy Al-Forhedi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe so. I started taking melatonin a week ago. I'll report if anything noticeable happens.

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using it topically for the last few days, and it seems fend off that annoying male pattern baldness itch