Anyone Know Where To Get 99 Percent Rubbing Alcohol?

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
nobody has any. people are buying it for obvious reasons.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

First the hand sanitizers went, now isopropyl alcohol. Pretty much anything with alcohol is in high demand. I checked with 3 pharmacies yesterday, all were sold out on both.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First the hand sanitizers went, now isopropyl alcohol. Pretty much anything with alcohol is in high demand. I checked with 3 pharmacies yesterday, all were sold out on both.

I know. I usually get the rubbing alcohol from amazon, they don't have any nor does any medical store online. I am going to have to buy lace release instead. I am so mad because I went to order a 12 pack of it a few weeks ago and didn't...just thought I would wait.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know. I usually get the rubbing alcohol from amazon, they don't have any nor does any medical store online. I am going to have to buy lace release instead. I am so mad because I went to order a 12 pack of it a few weeks ago and didn't...just thought I would wait.

Too bad you didn't order, you would have been set for years. I just watched deBlasio on MSNBC, he said this will get worse in the short term, and will continue for at least 6 months until they get the virus under control. Stores are even selling out of toilet paper. Tough times ahead. I imagine production of hair systems is also being affected in China and S. Korea.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Too bad you didn't order, you would have been set for years. I just watched deBlasio on MSNBC, he said this will get worse in the short term, and will continue for at least 6 months until they get the virus under control. Stores are even selling out of toilet paper. Tough times ahead. I imagine production of hair systems is also being affected in China and S. Korea.
yes. I have several systems on order and they closed the factory a few times. I am not sure what is going on now. I am just glad I have a few. As for the rubbing alcohol a case of 12 lasts me about a year and a half. Why I did not buy the 12 bottles for 28 dollars is pissing me off...the shelf I keep all my hair crap on needs to be cleaned off and I did not want to do it so I did not order them, now I will have to order lace release...I hope the public does not pick up on that, being it has a lot of alcohol in it.

as for the hand sanitizer I have looked everywhere for that too. I commute from NJ to NYC everyday on a bus full of 50 people for 3 hours a day and I could really use it. there is some talk of letting us work from home though

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I get the 12-pack on Amazon subscribe and save. Got a shipment about a month ago so I'm good for the next 12 months or so.

As for pieces, I have a new piece I got from NorthwestLace a few months ago, which I cut-in but haven't worn yet, and I'm currently making two of my own so luckily I won't be affected by China/North Korea!

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
How exactly do you use the ethanol? Does it not burn your scalp?

Ethanol is grain alcohol. It will burn the same as Isopropyl Alcohol or Methanol (which is probably MORE available).

Don't get confused with E10 or E15 with is ethanol mixed with petrol!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
And it doesn't damage the hair?

What hair, the system? Or your bio hair? No, neither. There is a HUGE misconception on this forum that the merest drop of alcohol will dry out the hair and destroy your system, it's simply NOT TRUE.

Once you remove the system, you soak (I only do it 15 mins) and remove the tapes. I then wash and condition the system. If you use a daily, leave-in conditioner, you will keep your system looking great.

The problem is with leave-in products, like alcohol containing gels, mousse, etc.

Steve

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The word is out that we use this stuff. you cant get it anywhere. I know of a few hair replacement stores that sell it, but even they are all out and it does not come up in a google search. I did order a bunch of lace release though.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I order 99.9% isopropyl from a chemical company in the UK as I don't trust Amazon or Ebay for stuff like that. Even the company I order from are now out of stock and will only have VERY limited stock available in the next few weeks.

As an alternative to isopropyl you can use methylated spirits, which is about 95% alcohol and should be easier to find at this time than isopropyl. This was recommended to me by my stylist. It works, though I've only tried dabbing on to release the system and not spraying it like I do with isopropyl. There was a thread on the Toplace forum about using methylated spirits with to clean a hair system and/or scalp:

http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=1164

This might be useful info too:

http://www.diamondspirit.net/adunk/metho.html

But lace release spray would of course be fine too.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just placed an order with Walker Tape Co for supplies... and they have 99% Isopropyl. I normally use the local ethanol because it's cheaper. Of course, no one has any in stock.

Let's see if I get it...

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
to my surprise, my local walmart had 91% isopropyl alcohol yesterday.. I bough 2 bottes as I can't find the 99% grade.

Has anyone used the 91% version. is it as effective in removing glue than the 99% ?? . I will soon find out once I finish my old stuff.
last resort would be to figure a way to remove the 8% or so of water...i am not a chemist and don't want to blow up LOL

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
to my surprise, my local walmart had 91% isopropyl alcohol yesterday.. I bough 2 bottes as I can't find the 99% grade.

Has anyone used the 91% version. is it as effective in removing glue than the 99% ?? . I will soon find out once I finish my old stuff.
last resort would be to figure a way to remove the 8% or so of water...i am not a chemist and don't want to blow up LOL

It could be witch hazel or something similar. I don't think the 8% will have a HUGE difference.