Anyone know how much a small amount of grafts cost, roughly

jimothy

Reaction score
I only want a cm of grafts round the front (depth wise) to restore my hairline to what it was when I was a youth. How much would that cost, roughly? I've phoned numbers before, but it always seems like they misunderstand how much I've lost. It's not much, I just cant wear my hair off my face now, or it looks like I have a large forehead. Any alternatives, scalp reuction?

CCS

Reaction score
no, scalp reductions are horrible and old.

It's good you came here and asked, but this should prove as lesson to ask about the procedure before asking about the price.

I have had successful graft procedures I'm very happy with, and know the exact prices and told people where to get them, until you read this post and others, you are a prime target to get totally mutilated by a "surgeon."

Scalp reductions are an extremely barbaric procedure, along with strip grafts and scalp flaps. I won't describe them because they make my stomach sick. Anyone here will vouch for this. Worst of all, the are perfectly LEGAL. Every doctor will tell you he/she has the most advanced techniques.

Plastic surgeons either do follicular unit extraction (expensive) or take a strip from the back. Either way, they transplant only individual follicular units of 1-3 hair into tiny slits they poke in your head in a random pattern that looks likes the rest of your hair. It is not dectectable if done right. A good surgeon will charge $3.50 to $5.50 per micro graft, depending where you go and how many you get. Some decent micrograft doctors will do $3.00 flat rate, such as Dr Lehr. I recommend Dr. Keene in Tucson because she uses fantastic magnification on 19 inch monitors. Google both of them and go to their site and educate yourself.

If your brow is 17 cm wide, and you want to lower it 1 cm, that is 17 cm sq. You can only do 30 per sq cm per 6 months. You will need at least 50 to be happy, so 2 procedures and happy in 1.5 years after they fully mature. That's enough time to take my topical advise and regrow your hair for less than the cost of surgery if the loss is recent. Anyway, 17x4x30 = $2000 x two sessions = $4000. And hair transplant docs won't tell you my regimin because they want you to take propecia and keep your hair but not regrow it so you don't need them. For the temples, you might need transplats, though.

It is a good thing that price was enough of a concern for you that you hesitated to do a procedure before coming here and asking questions. If you had money you would be on here crying about how someone mutilated you already. Shopping for the lowest price before you even know what the procedure is. YoungNDumb is sucidal because of what happened to him, and he actually let the Doctor work on him again to "fix" the work. No improvement, just worse.

Avoid mini grafts, slot grafts, bunch grafts, etc, or any place that even offers this for part of the procedure to anyone. I wrote a beautiful post in the surgical hair restoration forum about picking a good FUE Doctor. At the bottom is info you could use. Why do newbies keep putting up posts instead of reading the good replies? And larger grafts tend to "donut", which means the inside hairs don't get blood and die.

CCS

Reaction score
do you even know the EXACT shape of the hairline you want, so you can draw it with confidence? if not, do some thurough research, looking at other guy's hairlines, and find out for sure, unless you want the doctor to give you one you won't like later. "1cm lower" is not specific enough. And unless you draw it yourself, they might say "yeah, I'll do that" and then put it 1.5 cm lower. permenant marker so there is no question afterwards.

A

Administrator

This belongs in the Surgical Options forum .... Moving it there now.

Admin

CCS

Reaction score
jimothy,

I'm sorry about my emotional response I wrote you. I was not angry at you and did not look down on you. I was just very upset that many unsuspecting young men are considering scalp reductions. I once told my brother he should get one, and I once considered getting pencil errasor sized graphs just because I did not know anything better was out there. It really desturbs me that so many guys on this site had that done to themself, and that I could have been one of them, and my brother also could have been one, and I would have been responsible for getting it done to my brother. That is why I wanted to make it very clear to everyone here just how dangerous and unregulated the united states still is, and that it is a good thing that many guys don't have the money to do the first procedure they see and think they need.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
jimothy,

I'm sorry about my emotional response I wrote you. I was not angry at you and did not look down on you. I was just very upset that many unsuspecting young men are considering scalp reductions. I once told my brother he should get one, and I once considered getting pencil errasor sized graphs just because I did not know anything better was out there. It really desturbs me that so many guys on this site had that done to themself, and that I could have been one of them, and my brother also could have been one, and I would have been responsible for getting it done to my brother. That is why I wanted to make it very clear to everyone here just how dangerous and unregulated the united states still is, and that it is a good thing that many guys don't have the money to do the first procedure they see and think they need.

How come you can never just answer the question without exasperating long winded, self serving Bull@*it? It's really not that hard to do. The guy is reaching out to the forum, do the right thing.

CCS

Reaction score
i agree I should not have put him down, but I think there was nothing wrong with the length of my reply, as it does contain a lot of imformation.

G

What are you going to do when you hit forty-something? I would think twice about restoring a hairline to its juvenile placement. :roll:

CCS

Reaction score
yeah, he first needs to find out if he is one of the people who responds well to propecia. while rogaine will help regrow hair, it can give him a false impression of how effect the propecia is. i recommend combos for people who want to regrow their hair. If someone wants to get a transplant soon, they should either just do the propecia to see how agressive the loss is, or they should use everything and take some time and see if they can just regrow most of it. If he has been slowly loosing his hair line for 4 years, and lost 1cm, I'm not sure he can regrow it. that is what i'm trying to do, though, and i lost over an inch.