Anyone have success with .5 mg finasteride? + My Updated finasteride Story

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I ran out of finasteride after not realizing I was so close to the end of my supply. I got some about 1.5 weeks later but decided to experiment with staying off of finasteride for a little while.

I didn't realize I was having side effects to the extent that I was. After coming off, I've realized I had these effects:

-slightly reduced libido
-less random erections
-much less frequent morning wood
-watery sperm

The positive side is that I had totally halted hair loss and the "scalp itch" was totally gone. I've been using Kirkland Minoxidil since late November and I've seen some good growth (and more is coming) so I am only on that as a hairloss medication right now.

I'm heavily considering going back on finasteride as it had positive effects for my hair. However, I've noticed that since quitting I have:

-slightly higher libido (it was much higher a few days into quitting, but it tapered off to pre-finasteride normal levels)
-lots more random erections
-morning wood every morning
-white/thicker semen

Has anyone had success with .5 mg/day? I know some people have reduced side effects short-term but I can't find many people reporting on long term useage.

Thanks.

(EDIT: Also, I've been off of finasteride for about a month and noticed these positive changes after about 1.5 to 2 weeks off of finasteride)

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
I ran out of finasteride after not realizing I was so close to the end of my supply. I got some about 1.5 weeks later but decided to experiment with staying off of finasteride for a little while.

I didn't realize I was having side effects to the extent that I was. After coming off, I've realized I had these effects:

-slightly reduced libido
-less random erections
-much less frequent morning wood
-watery sperm

The positive side is that I had totally halted hair loss and the "scalp itch" was totally gone. I've been using Kirkland Minoxidil since late November and I've seen some good growth (and more is coming) so I am only on that as a hairloss medication right now.

I'm heavily considering going back on finasteride as it had positive effects for my hair. However, I've noticed that since quitting I have:

-slightly higher libido (it was much higher a few days into quitting, but it tapered off to pre-finasteride normal levels)
-lots more random erections
-morning wood every morning
-white/thicker semen

Has anyone had success with .5 mg/day? I know some people have reduced side effects short-term but I can't find many people reporting on long term useage.

Thanks.

(EDIT: Also, I've been off of finasteride for about a month and noticed these positive changes after about 1.5 to 2 weeks off of finasteride)

I started my finasteride prescription with .5mg, and never went higher than that. I got amazing results that changed my life, in terms of confidence from a full, thick and puffy head of hair.

The side effects creeped up after about 5 months, when I was hit with ed and brain fog. I reduced to .25mg. In the following month on this reduced dosage, things got worse and worse, and I got additional sides. My body was being reduced to an inferior machine, without dht to keep my hormones in balance. I recently quit and am slowly recovering, but it is taking months and I may be permanently damaged.

In my experience, side effects do not subside after time, but as your body adjusts to the low dht, your body grows into a different person based on these new hormonal parameters.. Everything that is special about you will be destroyed. You wont feel like your same special self anymore.

(for example those who quit did not realize how badly they were affected, have truly forgotten themselves, and had been pulled under by this oppressive chemical)

Mens Rea

Reaction score
TS if you keep taking finasteride after getting clear warning then you really have yourself to blame if you mess your endoctrine system up.

Alot of people get the sides after many years on the finasteride. The fact you got them early proves you're sensitive to it. You'd likely get worse over time.

The risk isn't worth the reward. I don't recommend you finding this out the hard way.

etranger

Reaction score
I'm on the same boat, as I posted on another thread. I think we are somewhat "lucky" that we found out our side effects early on and our body was able to recover after quitting.

i'm going to look to try other DHT inhibitor options now...

Mens Rea

Reaction score
etranger said:
I'm on the same boat, as I posted on another thread. I think we are somewhat "lucky" that we found out our side effects early on and our body was able to recover after quitting.

Really??

DHT is only one part of the puzzle. But you NEED DHT in your body. Its a vital vital element of being a male. Surpressing it is stupid.

Options:

Local DHT surpression (e.g. topical DHT blocker)....these have limited effectiveness and risk of systematic absorption

Try increase your local DHT metabolism instead of blocking DHT. Things like lazor therapy and, apparently, an increase in your cortisol production line will do this.

etranger

Reaction score
Colin297 said:
etranger said:

Really??

DHT is only one part of the puzzle. But you NEED DHT in your body. Its a vital vital element of being a male. Surpressing it is stupid.

Options:

Local DHT surpression (e.g. topical DHT blocker)....these have limited effectiveness and risk of systematic absorption

Try increase your local DHT metabolism instead of blocking DHT. Things like lazor therapy and, apparently, an increase in your cortisol production line will do this.

I'm still ignorant on a lot of these issues...by laser therapy do you mean laser combs? aren't they good for stimulating growth? how do you increase cortisol production?