Anyone expecting generic proscar in Australia any time soon?

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey just wondering if the whole generic finasteride thing in the U.S. is likely to affect Australians - as in, will we have access to generics from our local pharmacy?
any ideas?

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
Go to the doctor and ask for a prescription of Proscar (explain to him that you want to cut it into quarters and use it like propecia, etc..). It's like, $5 with your medicare card, because the PBS covers it.. As far as generic proscar on Oz, I'm not sure.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
They won't allow you to get Proscar in Australia for that purpose because it's not registered on their directory for hair loss.

I've tried, she said, whilst it's the same thing, I can't prescribe it to you even though it's far more cost effective.

I'd like to know where to get it in AU, because finasteride is rich ($77AUD) for 1mth supply.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
brentx said:
Go to the doctor and ask for a prescription of Proscar (explain to him that you want to cut it into quarters and use it like propecia, etc..). It's like, $5 with your medicare card, because the PBS covers it.. As far as generic proscar on Oz, I'm not sure.

The PBS covers it for people with enlarged prostates, not hair loss. That's pretty dishonest of your doctor...he's effectively consenting that you have an enlarged prostate which is pretty much unheard of for men under 50. Has your chemist ever questioned you over it? I suppose it works out pretty well for you, though. The rest of us pay about $90 (I'm not sure how much I get back through private health insurance).

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
So said:
They won't allow you to get Proscar in Australia for that purpose because it's not registered on their directory for hair loss.

I've tried, she said, whilst it's the same thing, I can't prescribe it to you even though it's far more cost effective.

I'd like to know where to get it in AU, because finasteride is rich ($77AUD) for 1mth supply.

Yeah they do...my dermo prescribed it to me. It'll cost you $90 for about 4 months worth. What they won't let you do is claim it as a treatment for an enlarged prostate which is what So has managed to do.

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
My Doctor's (bout 3 or 4 different ones - depending on where i can be bothered going to get my script) have all been cool when prescribing 1/4's of proscar when i say its for my hair - they look at it and sometimes will say "its not bad, you really should think about whether you want to keep using it" etc. I just say "yes, i will definitely think about it"

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
Skaff said:
The PBS covers it for people with enlarged prostates, not hair loss. That's pretty dishonest of your doctor...he's effectively consenting that you have an enlarged prostate which is pretty much unheard of for men under 50. Has your chemist ever questioned you over it? I suppose it works out pretty well for you, though. The rest of us pay about $90 (I'm not sure how much I get back through private health insurance).

C'mon dude.. Are you serious? Dishonest? I'm saving a lot of money, my doctor is fine, I am fine, the economy is fine, the PBS is fine, the chemist is fine, etc.. If everyone is fine, I can't see any moral dillema.. If we were all 100% honest.. Well, the world would be a different place :)