Anyone Else Completely Out Of Touch With 'pop' Culture (movies, Shows, Music, Etc.)

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never been very fond of paying attention to what's popular, even as a kid and as a teen (I viewed it as a waste of time - "sitting still watching someone's bullshit for an hour or two" when I could play video games and actually do something interactive). Despite that I'd occasionally watch TV or shows that were considered 'in' at the time, if only to have some conversation topics with my peers because no one shared most of my other interests.

However, as I'm now in my mid 20s, just dealing with average health and lots of issues generally, and especially due to and thanks to hair loss, I can safely say that I can't stomach the idea of watching any popular show or listening to any kind of popular music.

I haven't watched a single episode of Game of Thrones, or the latest 'blockbuster' Avengers or other generic action movie, or any of that crap that people usually talk about. I have no interest in doing so. The last popular show I attempted getting into was Breaking Bad which is old by now - I made it about 4-5 episodes in before I just lost the patience for following it any further.

Music as well - I know Despacito is a popular song but I've never heard it or plan to. The YouTube front page with all the 'popular' music videos featuring glamourous b****s on yachts with the latest rap 'star' or whatever the f***, triggers some kind of primal disgust reaction in me at this point. I don't understand what sort of mindset a person has to be in to actually enjoy this stuff, but even though I was never particularly close to it, I'm about as far from it now as I could be.

Sports I don't follow either. I don't see the point - watching someone run after a ball for 90 minutes making more money in one game than I will in an entire year. I know it takes skill, I just don't know what's so entertaining about it and why people get invested so personally - the players hardly give a f*** about the fans anyway, what's it to you if "your team" wins or loses?

I guess with pop culture the thing that also puts me off is just how much is based on looks. Primarily in movies and music - it's not even so much about acting or singing any more - just being attractive. I guess dealing with hair loss makes you intrinsically hate those people, but it's like the immense shallowness of the entire industry just shines through when you get as black-pilled by years of hair loss and assorted psychological mutations.

Sometimes I wish I could be a dumb 'normie' who could just sit back and gobble all this sh*t up, I think life would be much easier that way. Either way I guess there is no going back from these realisations once you've made them. Even with a full head of hair back now, once you've been to the other side and seen what life is really like for people who don't 'make the cut' and aren't considered attractive, it just makes you want to not take part in any of the bullshit that is modern day society.

These days the only things I truly care about is making enough money to finance my hobbies. I want to buy a motorcycle, make music, do some photography, take trips and other things like that. People are usually such a horrible investment of time, money and everything really, and they rarely pay off.

Fortunecookie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Phew, at first I thought you are depressive, but the end of your post shows that you know what is important for you and that you have things you are aiming to get. People around you may not understand your point of view but I can absolutely sign up (if I can use this term in English)!

Feathered Harry

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're definitely not alone! You've pretty much described my own views perfectly (save for the sports bit).
I've only heard Despacito the one time. I was sure that when I heard it, I would immediately recognize and go "Oh it's THAT song, okay okay.." But nope, it was brand new. And it's awful.
Anyway, sounds like you're a proper introvert! No harm in that.

Feathered Harry

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can at least try to explain watching sports (even though it's off-point really) and say that you can certainly appreciate watching it if you have played it. I am a huge football fan, but I don't really support any one team. I just enjoy the hell out of watching good football being played, and it's because I have played a fair deal myself and can appreciate just how skilled the professionals truly are. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

blackg

Reaction score
I've never been very fond of paying attention to what's popular, even as a kid and as a teen (I viewed it as a waste of time - "sitting still watching someone's bullshit for an hour or two" when I could play video games and actually do something interactive). Despite that I'd occasionally watch TV or shows that were considered 'in' at the time, if only to have some conversation topics with my peers because no one shared most of my other interests.

However, as I'm now in my mid 20s, just dealing with average health and lots of issues generally, and especially due to and thanks to hair loss, I can safely say that I can't stomach the idea of watching any popular show or listening to any kind of popular music.

I haven't watched a single episode of Game of Thrones, or the latest 'blockbuster' Avengers or other generic action movie, or any of that crap that people usually talk about. I have no interest in doing so. The last popular show I attempted getting into was Breaking Bad which is old by now - I made it about 4-5 episodes in before I just lost the patience for following it any further.

Music as well - I know Despacito is a popular song but I've never heard it or plan to. The YouTube front page with all the 'popular' music videos featuring glamourous b****s on yachts with the latest rap 'star' or whatever the f***, triggers some kind of primal disgust reaction in me at this point. I don't understand what sort of mindset a person has to be in to actually enjoy this stuff, but even though I was never particularly close to it, I'm about as far from it now as I could be.

Sports I don't follow either. I don't see the point - watching someone run after a ball for 90 minutes making more money in one game than I will in an entire year. I know it takes skill, I just don't know what's so entertaining about it and why people get invested so personally - the players hardly give a f*** about the fans anyway, what's it to you if "your team" wins or loses?

I guess with pop culture the thing that also puts me off is just how much is based on looks. Primarily in movies and music - it's not even so much about acting or singing any more - just being attractive. I guess dealing with hair loss makes you intrinsically hate those people, but it's like the immense shallowness of the entire industry just shines through when you get as black-pilled by years of hair loss and assorted psychological mutations.

Sometimes I wish I could be a dumb 'normie' who could just sit back and gobble all this sh*t up, I think life would be much easier that way. Either way I guess there is no going back from these realisations once you've made them. Even with a full head of hair back now, once you've been to the other side and seen what life is really like for people who don't 'make the cut' and aren't considered attractive, it just makes you want to not take part in any of the bullshit that is modern day society.

These days the only things I truly care about is making enough money to finance my hobbies. I want to buy a motorcycle, make music, do some photography, take trips and other things like that. People are usually such a horrible investment of time, money and everything really, and they rarely pay off.
You used one word in your post to describe most of what pop culture is. That word being "generic."

The masses lap it up with glee.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
In the age of internet idk how you can live under a rock so much lol ... it's kinda just in our face.

I don't pay much attention to it , but there are a few elements of pop culture that are entertaining and make for good conversation. The music is terrible though.

Netsky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Agree with many aspects of your post. I like to think having nieche interests is part of what makes you an individual and i find i connect easily with people who also have very specific interests, even if they are different to mine. There's a sort of unwritten mutual respect between people who have weird intetests.

I tend to find women with distinctive individualistic traits much more attractive. It makes them stand out for me because in my very humble view women are more into pop culture than men.