Anyone dye the grey out of bio hair to match system color?

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm contemplating whether or not to go with 20% grey in hair system, or dye my bio hair to eliminate grey.

Stylist recommends 1B20, but with the system shortages I'm finding it difficult to find systems with 20% grey, and much more availability of systems without grey.

I already dye my beard every 10-14 days so thinking it wouldn't be too hard to also do hair.

Anyone have any tips or reccomended products to dye hair?

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't own a hair system yet but I've been looking at dyeing to make sure my bio hair matches the hair system flawlessly, I was going to use henna but I eventually decided that it would be too much risk of dyeing the hair system lace.

It seems like semi permanent dye is the best route to do the least damage to both the bio hair and the hair system. As for a good product I'm also interested to see input in this thread since I'm just about to get into researching good brands of semi permanent hair dye, since some brands can still damage your hair more than others

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Back2Natural colour depositing conditioner on both my hair system and bio hair to get a close match. Semi permanent hair dye might be better depending upon how much grey hair you need to eliminate.

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here
I´m using "Men Perfect" by Schwarzkopf. I don´t know if its an international brand.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Back2Natural colour depositing conditioner on both my hair system and bio hair to get a close match. Semi permanent hair dye might be better depending upon how much grey hair you need to eliminate.
How often do you have to use that stuff on your bio hair?
How often on the system?
Does it give u a pretty close match between bio hair and hair system?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How often do you have to use that stuff on your bio hair?
How often on the system?
Does it give u a pretty close match between bio hair and hair system?

I use it on average of once every 2 weeks (i.e. when I detach my system) on both my system and bio hair. It does help to give a close colour match between them both, yes. My feeling is that if you have a fair amount of grey, you might be better off with a semi permanent hair dye, as it'll last longer and give better results (it won't rinse out so easily). but Back2Natural is still a great product and definitely worth trying. It's more for faded systems than covering grey really, but it CAN work for covering grey to a point, especially if applied frequently. The good thing about Back2Natural is it's not harsh at all and will not damage your system - it actually makes the hair softer, shinier and better quality. The only way to find out what works best for you is to try it - Back2Natural is not expensive.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use it on average of once every 2 weeks (i.e. when I detach my system) on both my system and bio hair. It does help to give a close colour match between them both, yes. My feeling is that if you have a fair amount of grey, you might be better off with a semi permanent hair dye, as it'll last longer and give better results (it won't rinse out so easily). but Back2Natural is still a great product and definitely worth trying. It's more for faded systems than covering grey really, but it CAN work for covering grey to a point, especially if applied frequently. The good thing about Back2Natural is it's not harsh at all and will not damage your system - it actually makes the hair softer, shinier and better quality. The only way to find out what works best for you is to try it - Back2Natural is not expensive.
Awesome man, thanks for the tips! I'll definitely give it a shot

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Careful if using on hairpieces.. Grey hair on pieces is often synthetic and won't take dye.
Given shortages, I had to by a 70% grey instead of 80. I thought it wouldn't be that off, but way too dark, so I will try darkening my bio hair a shade darker with some sort of gray covering product

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Careful if using on hairpieces.. Grey hair on pieces is often synthetic and won't take dye.
Given shortages, I had to by a 70% grey instead of 80. I thought it wouldn't be that off, but way too dark, so I will try darkening my bio hair a shade darker with some sort of gray covering product
I'll definitely remember that, thanks for the advice man.

I'm looking to dye my bio hair which has some gray to match system which is 1B.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dye my bio & eyebrows hair using permenant dye for women - Revlon, 3.99$

The problem is my goddamn facial hair. Can never rock stubble anymore.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice! Cant beat that price, I'll look into that for sure.
Why cant u do the stubble? Bc of the gray?
Because I like 1-2 days' growth and that really can't be colored easily as far as I know. You end up staining your skin. Plus, it's just not worth coloring something that often. I liked the option of having stubble - and good stubble - if I didn't feel like shaving, but now I need to be clean or 1-day max.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because I like 1-2 days' growth and that really can't be colored easily as far as I know. You end up staining your skin. Plus, it's just not worth coloring something that often. I liked the option of having stubble - and good stubble - if I didn't feel like shaving, but now I need to be clean or 1-day max.
Man I know exactly what u mean! I like short stubble on my face, but it's mostly gray, so I tried just 4 men to dye it and it stained my face and broke out w/ reaction...then I started using Grizzly mountain dye organic which worked, but just like u said, it lasted 2-3 days max before new grays and had to dye again, so just not sustainable. I now grow out my beard longer and dye it about once a week but would prefer just stubble
It's really easy. You leave it in for 25 min and wash it out.
I'm gonna look it up on amazon, thanks for recc! :)

Milo Bloom

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you dye your own hair to cover grey, your best bet is Miss Clairol Grey Busters mixed with #20 developer. Leave in for 30 minutes and do your eyebrows as well.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you dye your own hair to cover grey, your best bet is Miss Clairol Grey Busters mixed with #20 developer. Leave in for 30 minutes and do your eyebrows as well.
Oh, make sure to get your brows. I Just For Men to that end - a box that says, "Multiple Applications" on it.

Eyebrows should be darker than hair on head.

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Full cap wig allows you to dial in how much grey you want, or not. I dyed my beard with JFM for a few years but became increasingly allergic to it over time. I now have 2mm stubble and use Schwarzkopf or 1000 Hours hair sticks to colour it, quick and easy to do every morning.