anybody grow hair back from a norwood 2.5-3 back to a 2?

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
anybody is it even possiable only on minoxidil right now week 2..so
I mean so much negtivity online in these forums usually be good to hear somebody was able to achieve such results.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I went from a 3 (i.e Phil Collins) to a 2.5 (i.e. similar hairline, but MUCH thicker center hair) in 8 months. I have regrowth. My center-forehead area between the balding temples has grown. But most significant is that the existing hair on my center forehead is exponentially thicker, and instead of having to deal with wispy hair there, I can now style it and when styled and blown back it now obscures quite a bit of my temples.

In short, my hairline improvement is just inching along, but it is progressing. However, the improvement minoxidil has made in my existing but thinning hair has given me an entirely different and MUCH more youthful look. It has worked for me, period.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Going from a 3 to a 2.5

Gardner,

Did you go from a 3 to a 2.5 after you stopped using Propecia, or do you attribute the success to minoxidil? I am currently only using Propecia and Nizoral 1% along with some daily vitamins. I approaching week 8 on my treatement and was wondering if I should add anything else to my regime.

Thanks,
Tony

Cassin

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I went from a 3 (i.e Phil Collins) to a 2.5 (i.e. similar hairline, but MUCH thicker center hair) in 8 months. I have regrowth. My center-forehead area between the balding temples has grown. But most significant is that the existing hair on my center forehead is exponentially thicker, and instead of having to deal with wispy hair there, I can now style it and when styled and blown back it now obscures quite a bit of my temples.

In short, my hairline improvement is just inching along, but it is progressing. However, the improvement minoxidil has made in my existing but thinning hair has given me an entirely different and MUCH more youthful look. It has worked for me, period.

Exact same here.

Except I was a very very thin Norwood 3 and had started diffusing throughout the entire top of my head my hair got so thin. At any angle, even in weak light, you could see my scalp.

My regrowth is much slower than before but very steady. I fully admit I have become a bit more lax in my treatments as of late. But I have redidicated myself to twice daily aps. I was using irritation as an excuse to skip here and there way to much I think. So I knocked out all excuses and ordered some AM; Dr Lee's Solution.

Oh yeah, except I didn'y look like Phil Collins, more like Agent Smith(from The Matrix) as In-Valid put it. Just picture him with a damn near see through coverage...brutal look to be throwing down at 27.

HairFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
Are u sure that Phil Collins is only Norwood 3??
collins.jpg

Sweet, then im only Norwood 2 :)))

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeh but agent smith is the man..lol

heres my pics what norwood am I?...keep mind its bad lighting and in bathroom lights looks alot worse u can see scalp in the front areas etc..
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/element676

also gardnener..u ever use propecia?..and if so how did it go for u..im thinkin of poppin my one month supply the derm gave me like 3 months ago..

The Gardener

Reaction score
Yeah, I see the pix of Phil Collins and no, I'm not THAT bad. I had a similar frontal hairloss pattern, but my 'centre strip' is about an inch wider. And I don't have nearly as wide and circular a head as he does, so I look a lot better. But, the hair on my 'centre strip' was very thin and wispy just as I remember Phil Collins' being when he wore his hair a bit longer. Additionally, I have NO crown thinning or balding. The back of my head, A OK... but the front has serious recession.

After 7.5 months on minoxidil, my 'centre strip' is widening... but as I said before, I had a short stint of a teasing initial regrowth, but now the regrowth has slowed to a sluggish but constant hair-by-hair improvement. The upper corners of my bald temples have reduced about 3/4 inch, the newly regrown hair is a tad curlier than the other hair but very 'cosmetically significant' and I am hoping that these hairs continue to thicken and straighten out a bit. The most dramatic improvement is the hair on that centre strip, it is now almost as thick as the hair on the back of my head. As you can imagine, in terms of stylability, it has been a revolutionary change! Put it this way... both Phil Collins and Agent Smith both have bald temples. I have gone from being more similar to Phil Collins, to a hair pattern more similar to Agent Smith. Not a huge amount of regrowth, but the increase in density and thickness of that center forehead area looks hella better. (I threw in that 'hella' reference to humor the nor cal crowd on the MB.)

Jason566, I don't use Propecia. So, instead of the Big Three I use the Topical Two, which is Minoxidil and spironolactone... and of course Nizoral.

G

The Gardener said:
Not a huge amount of regrowth, but the increase in density and thickness of that center forehead area looks hella better. (I threw in that 'hella' reference to humor the nor cal crowd on the MB.)

:lol:

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Yeah, I see the pix of Phil Collins and no, I'm not THAT bad. I had a similar frontal hairloss pattern, but my 'centre strip' is about an inch wider. And I don't have nearly as wide and circular a head as he does, so I look a lot better.

Hey, I don't think Phil Collins looks bad at all. He looks like a cute little baby! He does balding better than most guys.

As for me, I'd say minoxidil took me to a Norwood 1.5/diffuse or less from a NW2, and it didn't take long either. Super thickening too. I'd been on finasteride for 3+ years before starting minoxidil in Feb,'03. Improving by 1/2 to 1 Norwood rating is certainly possible with just minoxidil.
Over the long term, you should consider propecia if the minoxidil results start to fade over time.

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
So u never tried Propecia Gardener?
Yeh see alotoff people sayin usepropecia first others sayin minoxidil..well Propecia great for maintance but i need to see some signs of regrowth even small to know its working..
Im just scared of bein one of those holy crap propecia killed my penis or hair guys..are they really in the minority?..cause online forums makes it seem like at least 40% of everybody on Propecia hasissues where as minoxidil Id say less than 20% complain but usally just no results very few on forums say it destroyed there hair..

johnnycash

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello friends.

Maybe you guys could let me know something. I have kept my hairline though I am thinning on top as well as at the front on the left side above my hairline. Is this diffuse? I haven't seen anyone on here with this problem. I'm waiting for my Proscar and minoxidil, hope all goes well.

And hey Gardner, just curious, how come you don't take finasteride? How is the spironolactone as the DHT inhibitor?

I've also said this before, I'd trade a receeding hairline for this hole in the middle at the front anyday. I think some of you guys are crazy worrying about your temples though I think it just goes to show we each find faults in ourselves way too easily. Peace fellas.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I don't take finasteride because I just don't like 'taking' sh*t internally at all. Nothing to do with finasteride and/or sides in particular, I just don't like taking internal medicines and avoid it. I don't like taking aspirin unless I am dying, and this year in particular I waited until I was practically breathless before taking claritin for my allergies.

I am much more comfortable with the topicals. Call it irrational, call it a phobia, call it what you will but that is just me.

johnnycash

Established Member
Reaction score
No not at all, thanks for the info. I'm starting to get cold feet. Proscar is in the mail though I'm thinking I should of possibly attempted something else.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry so much about the Proscar. It's nowhere near as scary as, say, the BoogieMan, or something along those lines. Sure, some people have documented side effects but for every one of them you hear there are probably several hundred others who have NO side effects. The difference is that these people aren't here talking about how few side effects they have had because they are too busy out and about in the world, getting laid and enjoying their beautiful new hair.