Any point starting propecia for slow receders?

evildude

Established Member
Reaction score
is there any point for me to start taking propecia if my hairloss is slow and only at the hairline? i've lost about 1/2 inch in the last 6 years or so. the rest of the hair is fine.

after reading a bunch of posts here, it seems that propecia will cause a shed for most users. this will probably mess up your hairline quite a bit and then it should come back to where it was eventually. however, this all takes more than a year. so after more than a year(15-16 months) of propecia, i might be where i am now. if i don't take propecia, i could be slightly worse of(1/10 inch worse probably). however, one can't know and i wouldn't have gone through the shed and lost a big part of my hairline.

then, after 2 years propecia starts losing its effect and i will begin to lose my hair again. so what's the point then? i mean, all that money for maybe postponing my hairline by two years and 1/5 inch, assuming the rate of hairloss doesn't increase? wouldn't it be more wise to wait and see if my hair started falling out faster?

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well its up to you, im on month 2 now and i have not shedd, it could be a risk but if u get it back and it can save youre hair, then you should ask youre self how much do you cara about having hair in the future and how will it effect you.
if you know the answhere to that then u will find out if its worth the risk.
i personaly would have gotten on finasterid the moment i noticed hair loss if i knew about it, but i only knew about rogain when i was 18. im 23 now and im kicking my self because i didnt finasteride out about finasterid earlyer.

JD

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm 26, just starting my 2nd month of propecia. Side effects? my sex-drive is slightly *higher*. No shedding. That's it.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I experienced a dip in libido about two weeks into taking finasteride, but was back to normal after a month. Sides are probable until your body adjusts. If it saves your hair it's well worth taking a chance, and anyway, the sides are reversible on quitting.

abcdefg

Reaction score
What about no history of male pattern baldness, but have lost some hair? Is some hairloss due to aging normal? Just a mature hairline we cant all keep our teenage hairline from what I understand. Apparently there is no answer to that question its just do what you think.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ive been on it for 2 1/2 months and no sides.. exept first 2 weeks i thought less about sex :D
thats returned to the same now :lol:
and im getting greate results and finasteride, rogain foam, and nizoral/fungoral (its the same) so i would go for it.. wy not save youre hair.. and even restore the litle hair you lost. Good luck

abcdefg

Reaction score
hmm well according to every hair expert ive seen they all agree most men get a "mature hairline" they like to call it. So i guess some hairloss is supposed to happen but if it keeps going then I guess its male pattern baldness. Sometimes Im not sure experts know whats going on.