Any Longterm Users NOT Have Decent Results with Propecia?

porajj

Established Member
Reaction score
This is just a shout out to the older folk who have gone from NW2 to NW5-7 hairlines while on propecia for at least a couple years.

Do any of you exist?

NedFlanders

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish and hope there were, but I doubt it. I am a Norwood 4-5, and if I could get back to a Norwood 2, I would be the happiest person on earth.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nedflanders said:
I wish and hope there were, but I doubt it. I am a Norwood 4-5, and if I could get back to a Norwood 2, I would be the happiest person on earth.

I dont think thats what he meant Nedflanders. I think he meant if there are any people, who got on propecia as a nw2, but they advanced to nw5-7s despite the drug.

It is an interesting question i would also like to see some answers.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
there are no answers because I believe that finasteride or dutasteride will halt any one from balding. I have never seen pictures showing people progressing the Norwood scale (from 2 to above) while on finasteride or dutasteride.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
techprof said:
there are no answers because I believe that finasteride or dutasteride will halt any one from balding. I have never seen pictures showing people progressing the Norwood scale (from 2 to above) while on finasteride or dutasteride.

There are plenty of guys in this forum who have continued to lose ground whilst on finasteride/dutasteride.

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if one's follicular sensitivity is high enough, diminishing DHT to levels that would be tolerable for most balders may not be low enough for him. If that wasn't possible, finasteride would probably have close to a 100% response rate.

But it doesn't.

G

Far Too Young said:
Yeah, if one's follicular sensitivity is high enough, diminishing DHT to levels that would be tolerable for most balders may not be low enough for him. If that wasn't possible, finasteride would probably have close to a 100% response rate.

But it doesn't.

thats why you switch to dutasteride. the response on that is probably closer to 95% if not higher.

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
But Jayman, the advantage of finasteride is that your follicular sensitivity may be low enough that you can just diminish most of the DHT in the scalp with finasteride, but not neccesarily all of it in your body. You might as well figure out before hopping on dutasteride. Also, one might simply have a case of hyperandrogenicity, in which case the weaker androgen blocker might simply lower DHT levels to reasonable levels that the scalp could tolerate. I'm not clear if you're encouraging people to use Dutasteride first or to switch in the even of no results. The latter's fine instruction, but I would encourage everyone to at least try finasteride first.

mbehr22

Established Member
Reaction score
Far Too Young said:
But Jayman, the advantage of finasteride is that your follicular sensitivity may be low enough that you can just diminish most of the DHT in the scalp with finasteride, but not neccesarily all of it in your body. You might as well figure out before hopping on dutasteride. Also, one might simply have a case of hyperandrogenicity, in which case the weaker androgen blocker might simply lower DHT levels to reasonable levels that the scalp could tolerate. I'm not clear if you're encouraging people to use Dutasteride first or to switch in the even of no results. The latter's fine instruction, but I would encourage everyone to at least try finasteride first.

Yes but for how long?

Im starting mo 5 of propecia @ 1mg/day. My stylist says she can see and improvments or progression thus far.

The thing that scares me is that it seems that my frontal hairline and temples have really taken off lately. Its frustrating. Im pissed and sad.

Thinking of looking into surigcal options just to be ready ....

I cant figure out why this is happening. I dont have male pattern baldness in my fam, and I cant figure out why mine is getting more agressive as soon as I get on treatment. Thats so counterintuitive!!!

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm less than 2 months in and my hairline is trashed, the finasteride has not helped at all so far just keep getting worse..just keep praying for a turnaround soon otherwise its going to be buzz cut as its getting difficult to style and I hate it. Does make me wonder whether these DHT blockers aggravate things for some people..Until it calms down surgical options are not a good idea otherwise it will be mutiple visits...

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
mbehr22 said:
Far Too Young said:

Yes but for how long?

Im starting mo 5 of propecia @ 1mg/day. My stylist says she can see and improvments or progression thus far.

The thing that scares me is that it seems that my frontal hairline and temples have really taken off lately. Its frustrating. Im pissed and sad.

Thinking of looking into surigcal options just to be ready ....

I cant figure out why this is happening. I dont have male pattern baldness in my fam, and I cant figure out why mine is getting more agressive as soon as I get on treatment. Thats so counterintuitive!!!

Mbehr,

You're 29 and your hairloss is pretty tame. You MIGHT be a Norwood 1.5 in the temporal region and though your vertex has thinned, it is showing signs of improvement according to your pictures. Give Finasteride a year and see what it can do for you. You are nowhere NEAR needing surgical options. Any surgeon would turn you around and tell you to come back in 7 or 8 years (if you weren't using finasteride).

kaner529

Reaction score
I dont have any evidence to back up this claim, but from my understanding of all drugs and how the human body works, You have just as much a chance of increasing your baldness from eating too many apples as you do from taking a DHT inhibitor. Meaning its basically impossible that taking a dht inhibitor alone is causing the hairloss to speed up or get worse.