any experience with stress related hair loss

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
n organ-cultured human follicles CRH inhibited hair shaft production, induced apoptosis-driven follicle regression into catagen phase, inhibited growth of keratinocytes (which produce keratin, the main protein in hair) and promoted their death through apoptosis. CRH also increased melanin production in the anagen hair bulb.

We know that prolonged stress is bad for the hair, a possible mechanism for that is through CRH which is shown here to be bad for hair growth. It is up-regulated by stress and it’s also been shown that androgens such as testosterone affect the number of CRH receptors expressed. It’s possible that stress may lead to both increased amounts of CRH as well as an elevated sensitivity for it, and thus possibly increased hair loss as it also seems to up-regulate its own receptors.

----so does this mean that if you get yourself in a stressed state you may actually be changing the hormones relesased into you skin (and hair)? If so this would be a different mechanism for miniaturization of hair? Would this more likely explain a diffuse (including side loss)...and do you think the disposition to this type of hair loss would/could also be hereditary?

mjd50

Reaction score
my hairloss story is similiar to the situations in this thread. The stress began in Dec. 03 and I first noticed the hairloss last summer in June 04. I started using propecia and nizoral in october 04. It has not worked to maintain my hair. (not even close)
I had some bloodwork done and the only thing that stood out was high thyroid antibodies. In exploring some hypothyroid sitesites it looks like I would be listed as subclinical hypothyroid based on body temperature and symptoms.)my TSH was 2.2 which some docotrs treat as approaching the subclinical level. i understand that many doctors do not endorse the body temperature as a means of diagnosis. i have no idea. I would love to know if time released T3 medication would at least slow the hair situation down.
my opinion is that the stress triggered my Telogen Effluvium and subsequent accelerated male pattern baldness. in other words I'm screwed :(
the cortisol article is really interesting. i would like to learn more about it
i forgot to mention that my hair color significantly lightened, also a symptom of.... male pattern baldness

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
am i the only one who thinks that diffuse thinning and Telogen Effluvium have not really been researched very much, even in the limited world of balding research. there ae enough of us with similar loss stories on this thread to imply that our pattern (for lack of a better word) is not completely rare...

does anyone know a good diffuse loss/Telogen Effluvium information resource?