Anxiety over Side Effects of Finasteride .

vidareal

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Am a newbie so excuse if i post incorrectly.

I started to take proscar and rogaine (5%) after seeing a doctor last friday. I have noticeable hair thinning on top.

I have been doing research since i started taking proscar and came across this

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.a ... e=PROPECIA

....which , to be honest, scared the hell out of me.

Now i am wondering if it would be better to go down the hair transplant route (which is effective) .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. now i am wondering if this anxiety is been caused by the drug :)

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Not saying I agree or disagree with it, I'm just posting it.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6904/6/7

Abstract

Background

Finasteride is a competitive inhibitor of 5 alpha-reductase enzyme, and is used for treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia and androgenetic alopecia. Animal studies have shown that finasteride might induce behavioral changes. Additionally, some cases of finasteride-induced depression have been reported in humans. The purpose of this study was to examine whether depressive symptoms or anxiety might be induced by finasteride administration.

Methods

One hundred and twenty eight men with androgenetic alopecia, who were prescribed finasteride (1 mg/day) were enrolled in this study. Information on depressed mood and anxiety was obtained by Beck Depression Inventory (BDI), and Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS). Participants completed BDI and HADS questionnaires before beginning the treatment and also two months after it.

Results

Mean age of the subjects was 25.8(± 4.4) years. At baseline, mean BDI and HADS depression scores were 12.11(± 7.50) and 4.04(± 2.51), respectively. Finasteride treatment increased both BDI (p < 0.001) and HADS depression scores significantly (p = 0.005). HADS anxiety scores were increased, but the difference was not significant (p = 0.061).

Conclusion

This preliminary study suggests that finasteride might induce depressive symptoms; therefore this medication should be prescribed cautiously for patients with high risk of depression. It seems that further studies would be necessary to determine behavioral effects of this medication in higher doses and in more susceptible patients.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, but, for some, the depression/obession caused by baldness itself is much worse.

Taking a good chance on finasteride is easily the best option.

vidareal

Reaction score
tchehov said:
Yes, but, for some, the depression/obession caused by baldness itself is much worse.

Taking a good chance on finasteride is easily the best option.

Tend to somewhat agree but it sure is disconcerting reading about 'shrunken' willies........

bubka

Reaction score
read any drug review at that site, of course it's all going to be negative, hell, half of those symptoms can be attributed to older age anyways, freaking losers

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bubka. You're reading the worst of the worst of the worst. People who are willing to search out a forum to vent their frustrations at their failing treatment. Of course they're a little depressed. That whole thing about the animals is completely vague. And you're telling me that if you went into a study filling out depression sheets, knowing that a drug might increase your depression, that you wouldn't appear more depressed on the sheets? Of course you would. Depressions a difficult thing to judge. Many factors contribute to it. A thread involving Yukon and Me just revealed that the brain fog he thought might be due to finasteride, may actually be a result of his high blood pressure. You're going to be depressed at your hair loss regardless.