Anxiety and Depression

chowdahead

Reaction score
Let me start this by saying that I have never, ever been depressed. Ever. I've been through all types of "down" periods in life (grandmothers died, divorce, etc), but I have never felt to the point that I couldn't start thinking of the same things over and over. I'm 35 and have no medical issues.

I have been on and off Propecia and finasteride (generic) for about 4 years. I have never really taken it consistently, usually about 4-6 months on and 3-4 months off, 3-4 days per week, depending on whether I could afford it or make time to get the prescription written for the generic version by mail.

But since 6 weeks ago I made a commitment to take it every single night. I have not missed a single dose. In that time, I began experiencing serious anxiety and even depression. I find myself dwelling on small meaningless things that I never dwelled on before. Things ranging from unhappiness about my job, my relationship, paranoia, feeling of low self-worth, lack of confidence, and just overall uncaring about much at all. I find myself wanting to sleep more than do anything just so I can stop the endless cycle of thoughts. A few weeks ago I had my first "panick attack" , even vomiting after my wife had her 3rd miscarriage. That's how bad it affected me. I'm used to being the level-headed guy who consoles others. This morning I simply laid in my shower for an hour just "thinking" about the same issues over and over. By heart keeps beating so hard as if it is going to leap from within my chest.

I couldn't understand what was happening to me. I haven't had any side effects like loss of libido. I can still "go" every day, sometimes back to back. So I didn't even connect the finasteride to my emotions. Then I decided to search and I began reading about all the people experiencing the same thing with anxiety and depression.

I've decided to stop taking it. My hair loss has been mildly progressive over the past 10 years. Fortunately I still have about 85% of my hair. I can understand why people with more hairloss would take the risk. I know I will continue to loss some hair even using Rogaine, but I just can't take this. I have to see if my mood improves while off this stuff. From what I have read, it leaves your system in 36 hours.

I just wanted to post this here for those who may be thinking about taking Propecia (finasteride). make sure you keep an eye on your mood and emotional state. If you find yourself having anxiety, you may want to stop.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nothing new there, Merck already added "depression" as an officially reported side effect.

The reasons for depression and anxiety are due to Finasteride inhibiting 5AR-neurosteroid synthesis (Allopregnanolone and THDOC) in the brain

scroll down for images:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=63138&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=depression

Hopefully it will clear up for you in coming weeks.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Finasteride has been linked to depression as Mew said, but there is no data documenting incidence, as it was never found as a side effect during any of the trials. This would lead one to believe that experiencing depression while using Finasteride would be a rare occurrence, but still possible.

It's up to you to decide if there are any other contributing factors that may have lead to your depression and/or anxiety. It's definitely possible that Finasteride has caused the problems, but if you would still like to continue using the drug, I would recommend seeing a good therapist to make sure there are no other causes. If you decide that you would want to try the drug again in the future, there is a possibility that the depression could be managed, but it's probably best you stay away from it if it's making you feel that way.

Good luck!

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This would lead one to believe that experiencing depression while using Finasteride would be a rare occurrence, but still possible.

I would recommend seeing a good therapist to make sure there are no other causes. If you decide that you would want to try the drug again in the future, there is a possibility that the depression could be managed,

Despite documented evidence from scientific researchers and Merck themselves adding such reported side effects to product label, still the pro-finasteride camp tries to downplay risks.

Wuffer, unfortunately the more you post, the more I am inclined to believe you work for the manufacturer as a paid shill on these sites, trying to convince users their problems are most likely unrelated to Finasteride use.

You do try and present it in a somewhat balanced way, but that balance is generally favorable towards taking Finasteride.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mew, since it looks like you have been reading my posts, you will see I’ve grown to have a more balanced opinion as I did say 3 months ago. An opinion that is more sensitive to individuals experiencing PFS symptoms, while still relaying my own beliefs. Some of these individuals I have befriended, or as much as an antagonistic 'pro-finasteride camper' might be able to.

I have no problems with the idea of PFS, or many of the people that unfortunately experience the symptoms. I am more open minded to the theories surrounding PFS, but I still have my own opinions and beliefs. I did use to push these beliefs on others, but I agree, as others have privately expressed to me, this was not productive. I now try to offer advice that caters to both sides of the fence. Obviously, because of my positive experience with Finasteride, I am biased towards it being a generally safe and well tolerated medication. I feel that you are a polar opposite, to the extreme.

If you read through my posts, you will find that I often do actually discourage individuals from using Finasteride. I gain nothing from convincing someone to take it. As for your accusations insinuating I am a Merck shill, it is simply a ridiculous thing to say and actually makes me seriously question your intelligence and motives.

People are allowed to disagree with you, and in fact, many still do. I do find it interesting you consider any person who disagrees with you to be in bed with Merck.

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score
Fascinating stuff, I had no idea.

I have been severely depressed in the past but I'm convinced that finasteride had nothing to do with it - even though I do agree it's a dangerous drug.

Antidepressants are probably even more dangerous, especially when it comes to sexual side effects. I don't trust any of them, with the honorable exception of tianeptine (brand name STABLON): this one raises dopamine levels in the brain and actually improves your sex life.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't consider Finasteride or SSRI's 'dangerous', but they both do come with real risks. I believe SSRI's come with greater risks than Finasteride does.

I treated severe anxiety and depression with over a dozen antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds, and none treated the condition well enough to compensate for the side effects. Literally with each of the medications I took, I experienced side effects that were worse than the condition itself. Sexual sides were the worst, and many also caused gastrointestinal problems. I also typically experienced dizziness and fainting, fatigue, and in some cases, even heightened anxiety. Funnily enough, 'anxiety' is a common side effect of some of these medications being used to treat it! Going through withdrawal was the worst part on some of these also.

Wellbutrin was the best tolerated out of all the ones I tried, but it also didn't work too well for what I was attempting to treat. In the end, I would never take another SSRI, as I determined my problem to be cognitive, and a short time of proper therapy completely cured me.

Also, SSRI's are linked with persistent sexual problems. Some studies have put the rate of this occurring often in 1% of users (both male and female).

But I don't discourage taking SSRI's, even in light of my own experience. For some people, they can literally be a life saver, returning stolen quality of life. However, it should be determined by a competent psychologist if they believe the problem likely to due to a chemical deficiency or cognitive distortion. If you are suffering from a cognitive problem, I don't believe any amount of medication will cure or even sufficiently treat it.

But in the end, you are suffering a condition that is causing you distress (be it male pattern baldness or depression/anxiety) and would like to treat it. FDA testing shows these treatments are effective to a significant degree, and well tolerated by most; at least to the degree that shows the side effects aren't worse than the actual condition.

For most men (the vast majority) taking finasteride, it is tolerated perfectly fine, and provides results the individual will likely be happy with. Obviously, it also causes intolerable side effects in a small amount, or simply doesn't treat the condition effectively enough. Blanket statements such as: "x medication is poison, never take it" are counterproductive. Effort should be made to accurately define risks so that individuals considering treating their conditions can make more informed decisions. Discouraging each and every person from taking a medication is not a good answer, as it could prevent people from realizing potentially life changing benefits, as I believe finasteride has in my case. I don't consider the drug perfect, or even good or bad, but suitable for some and best avoided by others.