Anti-inflammatory Vitamin

riptiduh

Reaction score
So, I was wondering if this had anything to do with hairloss with respect to the anti-inflammatory abilities..

If not, sorry for wasting your time.

Life Extension Featured Article

May 14, 2010
Vinpocetine shows promise for chronic inflammation

Findings reported in article published online on May 6, 2010 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences suggest that vinpocetine, a derivative of vincamine (from the periwinkle plant), could be useful for the treatment of chronic inflammatory diseases such as atherosclerosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), arthritis, infectious diseases and cancer. Vinpocetine is a dietary supplement that has been used for many years to help prevent cerebrovascular disorders and memory loss, however, the compound's potential benefit in other disorders has not been explored.

Chen Yan, PhD of the University of Rochester Medical Center's Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute and colleagues report that vinpocetine acts as an anti-inflammatory agent in a mouse model of lung inflammation and in cell cultures. Vinpocetine was found to inhibit tumor necrosis factor-alpha induced nuclear factor-kappa-beta (NF-kB) activation and the subsequent induction of proinflammatory mediators in endothelial cells, epithelial cells, macrophages, and vascular smooth muscle cells. Vinpocetine works by inhibiting IKK, an enzyme that regulates inflammation by activating NF-kB.

The authors write that despite the well-known involvement of inflammation in disease, current therapies such as steroids and cyclooxygenase inhibitors can have significant long term side effects and new agents are urgently needed. "Inflammation is a hallmark of a wide range of human diseases, so there is great potential for vinpocetine to be used for several indications," noted coauthor and Rochester Medical Center CEO Bradford C. Berk, MD, PhD.

"What is extremely exciting and promising about these findings is vinpocetine's excellent safety profile," Dr Yan remarked. "Previously, most drugs tested in this area have failed, not because of a lack of efficacy, but because of safety issues. We're very encouraged by these results and believe vinpocetine has great potential for the treatment of COPD and other inflammatory diseases."

"In managing chronic conditions such as COPD, it is crucial to have a therapy that can be used safely over the long term," added coauthor Jian-Dong Li, MD, PhD, who is a professor at the University of Rochester's Department of Microbiology and Immunology "There is a great need for a drug like vinpocetine, because patients currently have no good options when it comes to long-term care."

Also, a few bullet points from the Life Extension Article:

The pathological consequences of inflammation are well-documented in the medical literature (Willard et al. 1999; Hogan et al. 2001). Regrettably, the dangers of systemic inflammation continue to be ignored, even though proven ways exist to reverse this process.

The following supplements are suggested:

* The docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) fraction of fish oil may be the most effective nonprescription supplement to suppress pro-inflammatory cytokines. Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is a precursor of PGE1, a potent anti-inflammatory agent.
* DHEA is a hormone that decreases with age. DHEA has been shown to suppress IL-6, an inflammatory cytokine that often increases as people age. Typical doses of DHEA are 25-50 mg daily, although some people take 100 mg daily. Refer to the DHEA Replacement protocol for suggested blood tests to safely and optimally use DHEA.
* Nettle leaf has been shown to suppress the proinflammatory cytokine TNF-a. Take 1000 mg daily.
* Vitamin E and N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) are protective antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamin E that contains gamma-tocopherol and tocotrienols provides the most broad-spectrum protection. NAC is an amino acid with antiviral and liver protectant properties. One 600 mg capsule daily is recommended.
* Vitamin K helps reduce levels of IL-6, a pro-inflammatory messenger. Vitamin K also helps in the treatment of osteoporosis by regulating calcium and promoting bone calcification. If you are taking Coumadin or other anticoagulant medicine, consult your physician before taking vitamin K.
* Consuming at least 1000 mg per day of carnosine and/or 300 mg of the European drug aminoguanidine can inhibit pathological glycation reactions in the body.

So those on the anti-inflammatory path, this is some good information that most of the vets here already knew...

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
You have to be careful with carnosine as it can increase your histamine levels which can = inflamation.

Also everyone needs to consider that just because you take NAC you are not guaranteed a particular amount of glutathione to form in the body.

DHEA would be for much older people, unless you have a particular diease of some sort, and it does convert to testosterone as well as other androgens.

Nettle leaf is good, but consider that curcumin also lowers TNF-a. However curumin muse be taken with bioprene in order to ensure absorbtion.

Definently on the right path though.

Things like pH etc need to be addressed as well.

riptiduh

Reaction score
Good info.

I have always supplemented Nettle and Curcumin along with Bioprene. They go hand in hand..

As for NAC, that is something I haven't used yet. I would say my diet is extraordinary along with my vitamin intake, so this lifestyle I have has kept me an incredible full head of hair. Every little thing counts I say, until we actually get a cure...

So, any info on NAC specifically that isn't about its "protective" qualities?

Also, do we know of any anti-inflammatory topicals?

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
riptiduh said:
Good info.

I have always supplemented Nettle and Curcumin along with Bioprene. They go hand in hand..

As for NAC, that is something I haven't used yet. I would say my diet is extraordinary along with my vitamin intake, so this lifestyle I have has kept me an incredible full head of hair. Every little thing counts I say, until we actually get a cure...

I saw a lot of people talking about emu oil. I am helping another chemist make some different lotion formulas for hair re-growth and for skin rejuvenation, they are almost ready.

riptiduh

Reaction score
purecontrol said:
riptiduh said:
Good info.

I saw a lot of people talking about emu oil. I am helping another chemist make some different lotion formulas for hair re-growth and for skin rejuvenation, they are almost ready.

Yea, seems you and I have been on this board a couple years. I too have read all the hubub about Emu Oil and have to say, I've used it religiously for 2 years. With everything I am doing I really can't narrow down what is keeping my hair so rich and thick but I can say, I wouldn't be without anything..

Please keep me updated on the lotions. I already use the SOD cream from Beyond A Century in conjunction with Emu/minoxidil and of course a home remedy of Green Tea, Nettle, ApplePoly(Swanson's) and a pinch of Lavender... CCS has debated GTE for years, along with Michael Barry. Michael's results were less than stellar with his sebutape, BUT, and a big but for that, for as long as I've been using that concoction, again, I wouldn't be without. Mind over matter? heh..

I'll send over some pics of my hair/hairline tonight, see if you can't recommend anything else as I personally think, I am having incredible results and more importantly, sustained.

Cheers man, good conversation.

notself

Reaction score
Standardized to >95% Curcuminoids seems to be the one from what you have shown.

BTW, I had taken caps with 0.02ml of volatile oil and 0.024 g of curcuminoids. 2 caps four times a day after meals and at bed time. This is just something I picked up (a no name cheap brand) in one of my travels. I must say that it has helped me with an inflammatory condition I have. Every time I stop I notice it coming back so I am convinced its due to this. I have done this several times with the same results.

I am thinking of trying out curcumin with resveretrol. I hear GNC has it?

riptiduh

Reaction score
I've known this to be the most potent form of Curcumin. Engineered to be taken without Bioperene and twice as potent.

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements ... cumin.html
The problem is that curcumin is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream. Super Bio-Curcumin® absorbs up to seven times better than conventional curcumin. So this patent-pending formula represents the most cost-effective way to supplement with this critical nutrient.100,101 Studies show that one 400 mg capsule a day of this turmeric compound can provide curcumin blood levels equal to ingesting 2,500–2,800 mg of commercial curcumin supplements. And not only does this novel turmeric formulation provide far greater peak blood levels, but the curcumin remains in the bloodstream almost twice as long as conventional supplements. And this enhanced absorption delivery complex provides other beneficial turmeric compounds in addition to standardized curcumin.

Another cheer for Beyond A Century. Awesome place to start.

lef.org is also another place with a wealth of information on supplements.

Really it comes down to personal preference and more importantly, how much you can spend...unfortunately.......

I know Petchsky uses Emu Oil. I wonder if he'll comment on how it has been working for him since it's listed in his regimen? Also, Petchsky, if you comment, where do you get your Emu Oil from? I've used it religiously as well and at the same time I don't know if it has done anything, it can't hurt...