another question about shedding

icon

Reaction score
I have read through lots of articles on this site lately and still have some questions so I was wondering if some of you guys could help me out. I just started month 8 on propecia/nizoral and up until recently things were stable but over the last month I started shedding a lot. I know that shedding can be a good thing and normal but from what I read it usually happens in the first three months. I guess I am just wondering if anyone has gone through something similar and had positive results later on. The other reason I am asking this is because I’m thinking about starting to use minoxidil as well but I’m unsure how long I should give propecia to work on its own since I would like to avoid it if possible. Anyway, I guess I’m just freaking out here because when I started using propecia my hair was just starting to thin noticeably and things have gotten a lot worse since then.

stabone

Reaction score
yes, hang in there, I started using minoxidil, finasteride, nizoral and just added some other stuff. So, you actually have to select a route to go now after lots of recent shedding as you described. Mine lasted for 3 months, and it was bad, but all has come back thicker plus some more hair where I was slick bald in the temples. First of all, order Spironolactone 5% from Dr. Lee, you will not shed with this. Second get some Folligen which soothes the scalp, relieves itching and inflammation, this way you can go for Xandrox 5% as a growth stimulant. The Folligen will reduce shedding and irritation from minoxidil. The spironolactone will block DHT almost as good (if not better) than finasteride. My little secret is to buy "Amazing Blue Emu, MSM, Aloe" at a health food store. Apply this in the shower mixing with Nizoral. This acts as a conditioner and will SPEED up the rate of growth (speed) for hairs that may be activated to regrow. You will most likely in 3 months be very pleased as long as you don't worry about the shedding and stick with it. Good luck. Drink Green Tea too.

icon

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply stabone. I will definitely look into the products you mentioned. I was hoping to just get by with only taking a pill everyday but with the way things are going I’m starting to think that may not be possible. I’m glad to hear about your success though, hopefully I will have a similar story too.

umab

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Icon,

I started to shed in month 6 on finasteride. Shedding lasted for 3-4months but I have grown it all back, thicker and even some new hair.

Led

sam8183

Reaction score
shed from azelaic acid

I have been on minoxidil and propecia for 6 years since i was 16 and have last month switched to xandrox 5% and have shed ever since.

I know this shed is NOT from minoxidil because i have been on regaine for ages. It must be from the azelaic acid.

How long is this shed gonna last? They have not justified a shed from azelaic acid, only from minoxidil, which is really worrying.

Should i be using spironolactone instead?

Please help