Another Newbie

SusieQ

Reaction score
Just diagnosed with AA and haven't been to my derm appt. yet. I am 41 (dating a 23 year old)...great timing to go bald :) :) Anyway I have an ophiasis pattern of hairloss....receding back hairline and bald patch size of a golf ball or more above one ear. I have long brown hair so most is covered although i use some eyeliner to cover the scalp above my ear so it isn't really noticeable. I hear my pattern is pretty resistant to treatment...but I just hope like MANY that it doesn't progress and get worse.....But on a positive note....it isn't cancer or life threatening and a wig someday might be a fast way to get ready and beautiful quickly in the morning....still hoping it doesn't come to that??? Would love to meet some more experienced women out there....it is all so lonely and overwhelming..and still worry in the back of my mind that it could be lupus although my gp didn't even test ANA because all my blood levels were fine and I have NO other symptoms to indicate lupus....anyway my name is Susie and I hope to meet new balding and BEAUTIFUL friends out there! :)

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Has anyone tried PM'ing OP?
Maybe something to consider before the 4 year anniversary of this thread rolls around?

crystalfisk282

Reaction score
Hello all, I am Crystal Fisk and I am new here. I am here to get information regarding issues which i face and to help the community here in which I have experience to become successful member of this platform. Welcome me and lets build a long term relationship. Bronzers | California Tan

fbidwell

Reaction score
Sleep loss and Alopecia Areata

I've had Alopecia Areata for about ten years. I believe it was initially triggered by intense stress when my mother died a month before my wedding. My entire beard fell out, eyelashes, eyebrows, and spots in my hair and body. Over the past two years I've discovered a direct connection between AA and mild sleep loss. I need at least 7 hours to feel right. If I consistently get less (i.e. for two weeks or more), I start to feel a stress reaction in my body. Sure enough, my eyebrows, eyelashes, and beard start to fall out.

My theory is that sleep loss leads to a stress reaction in the body that initiates the autoimmune response. I've observed this pattern for over two years now and am sure this is the cause in my case, so I wanted to share.

Last edited: