Anemia (thalassemia): Losing My Hair For 10 Years

Bagelbagel

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no idea what to do anymore!

My hair hasn’t been long since I was 14 years old. I’m pretty sure it’s because of my anemia.

Unfortunately I have thalassemia and am unable to take iron supplements as my body will go into iron overload.

My HB is 81 and ferritin 42.

I have tried cutting my hair, I don’t straighten or apply heat, I’ve tried oils and masks.

My hair grows the problem is that it thins out and breaks at the end (lack of nutrients getting to it?) or it just falls out from the roots.

I’m active, I eat very well, I do not undereat, I eat high iron foods.

I’ve also had my hormones tested and they came back fine.

Where am I going wrong?

Attachments

• C5DDCCB6-BF96-4CFD-B19F-28AB08848990.jpeg
    C5DDCCB6-BF96-4CFD-B19F-28AB08848990.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 371

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No iron supplements huh. What about an iron injection? 41 is probably too low to recover from hair loss. All evidence points to at least 70 for regrowth.

Lots of spinach, mushrooms, potatoes, beets...maybe add vitamin C to help absorption. Stay away from caffeine if you can.

Hope you can keep your head up.

Bagelbagel

My Regimen
Reaction score
No iron supplements huh. What about an iron injection? 41 is probably too low to recover from hair loss. All evidence points to at least 70 for regrowth.

Lots of spinach, mushrooms, potatoes, beets...maybe add vitamin C to help absorption. Stay away from caffeine if you can.

Hope you can keep your head up.

Thank you for your response! It’s much appreciated!

I would not be allowed to have an iron shot as my body can not handle the iron and would go into iron overload. It’s weird because my sister has no issues with her hair, it’s so thick and beautiful and she also has the same condition as me. ☹️