Androgens Trigger Different Growth Responses In Genetically Identical Human Hair Follicles In Organ

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Androgens trigger different growth responses in genetically identical human hair follicles in organ culture that reflect their epigenetic diversity in life
Benjamin H. Miranda*,†, Matthew R. Charlesworth*, Desmond J. Tobin*, David T. Sharpe*,† and Valerie A. Randall*,1

Abstract:

Male sex hormones—androgens—regulate male physique development. Without androgen signaling, genetic males appear female. During puberty, increasing androgens harness the hair follicle’s unique regenerative ability to replace many tiny vellus hairs with larger, darker terminal hairs (e.g., beard). Follicle response is epigenetically varied: some remain unaffected (e.g., eyelashes) or are inhibited, causing balding. How sex steroid hormones alter such developmental processes is unclear, despite high incidences of hormone-driven cancer, hirsutism, and alopecia. Unfortunately, existing development models are not androgen sensitive. Here, we use hair follicles to establish an androgen-responsive human organ culture model. We show that women’s intermediate facial follicles respond to men’s higher androgen levels by synthesizing more hair over several days, unlike donor-matched, androgen-insensitive, terminal follicles. We demonstrate that androgen receptors—androgen-activated gene transcription regulators—are required and are present in vivo within these follicles. This is the first human organ that involves multiple cell types that responds appropriately to hormones in prolonged culture, in a way which mirrors its natural behavior. Thus, intermediate hair follicles offer a hormone-switchable human model with exceptional, unique availability of genetically identical, but epigenetically hormone-insensitive, terminal follicles. This should enable advances in understanding sex steroid hormone signaling, gene regulation, and developmental and regenerative systems and facilitate better therapies for hormone-dependent disorders.—Miranda, B. H., Charlesworth, M. R., Tobin, D. J., Sharpe, D. T., Randall, V. A. Androgens trigger different growth responses in genetically identical human hair follicles in organ culture that reflect their epigenetic diversity in life.

Full text attached.

Attachments

• 10.1096@fj.201700260RR.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 349

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesring study, I'm not sure but does that mean finasteride growth is a result of increasing testestrone while inhibiting DHT?
Like the scalp follicles need testestrone to grow, and the beard follicles need DHT?

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesring study, I'm not sure but does that mean finasteride growth is a result of increasing testestrone while inhibiting DHT?
Like the scalp follicles need testestrone to grow, and the beard follicles need DHT?

No, testerosterone had no effect on the scalp hair follicles - they were from the insensitive area. Facial hair needs male levels of testosterone (some of which they'll convert locally to DHT) to go terminal.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
In the study;" nonbalding scalp follicles are not androgen
dependent; children have well-developed head hair."

Really? scalp hairs in children have an operative sebaceous gland that need hormones, then they (T and DHT) are present in this pilosebaceous unit

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, testerosterone had no effect on the scalp hair follicles - they were from the insensitive area. Facial hair needs male levels of testosterone (some of which they'll convert locally to DHT) to go terminal.

Thanks for clearing up, old people losses body hair and facial hair while aging, probably thay due the decrese of testesterone.
How Estrogen effect scalp hair follicles?