Androgenetic alopecia: identification of four genetic risk loci and evidence for the

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Androgenetic alopecia: identification of four genetic risk loci and evidence for the contribution of WNT signaling to its etiology.

Abstract

The pathogenesis of androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia, male-pattern baldness) is driven by androgens, and genetic predisposition is the major prerequisite. Candidate gene and genome-wide association studies have reported that single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) at eight different genomic loci are associated with Androgenetic Alopecia development. However, a significant fraction of the overall heritable risk still awaits identification. Furthermore, the understanding of the pathophysiology of Androgenetic Alopecia is incomplete, and each newly associated locus may provide novel insights into contributing biological pathways. The aim of this study was to identify unknown Androgenetic Alopecia risk loci by replicating SNPs at the 12 genomic loci that showed suggestive association (5 × 10(-8)<P<10(-5)) with Androgenetic Alopecia in a recent meta-analysis. We analyzed a replication set comprising 2,759 cases and 2,661 controls of European descent to confirm the association with Androgenetic Alopecia at these loci. Combined analysis of the replication and the meta-analysis data identified four genome-wide significant risk loci for Androgenetic Alopecia on chromosomes 2q35, 3q25.1, 5q33.3, and 12p12.1. The strongest association signal was obtained for rs7349332 (P=3.55 × 10(-15)) on chr2q35, which is located intronically in WNT10A. Expression studies in human hair follicle tissue suggest that WNT10A has a functional role in Androgenetic Alopecia etiology. Thus, our study provides genetic evidence supporting an involvement of WNT signaling in Androgenetic Alopecia development.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23358095

drgs

Banned
Reaction score
adada

"The Androgenetic Alopecia risk allele (T) of rs7349332 was associated with curly hair in two independent GWAS studies (Medland et al., 2009;Eriksson et al., 2010)."

I had a dna test done in 2009 on 23andme.com. I looked up the SNP -- it's listed as CC.
Phew, though I'm still slowly balding