An Introduction - 48 and bald

edintoronto

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Edward and I live in Canada. I am 48 years old and started losing my hair when I hit age 20. By the time I was twenty-four, I was wearing a hair weave with clips. It actually looked really good and lasted for several years. I mean it looked so good that it/me attracted some lovely ladies. Though this sounds great, it turned out to be horribly frustrating. I feared that if I were to get amorous with someone then they would run their fingers through my hair and find out that my hair was not my own. Being single at the time, it was a lousy feeling!

Time travelled and I met my wife in 1995. I was wearing my lovely weave, and we'd been dating a few months and I couldn't take it. I wanted to be with her, but I felt that I had to let her know I was wearing the weave. I showed pictures of me with thinning hair and she got the idea. She was fine with me being bald. We eventually married.

Here's the thing - even though my wife is okay with me being bald, I'm not comfortable with it. Then I get this internal conflict that I'm being vain and I should just accept it. The ol' Patrick Stewart, Andre Agassi ... embrace your baldness. But, I can't. I'm tired of looking older than I am and I don't want to apologize for feeling that way.

Anyways, I am having a hair system cut-in today. I've posted some before pics on my profile and I'll post the after pics when I get back from my appointment.

I'd appreciate any feedback from individuals who were uncomfortable initially with wearing a system and how long it took for the system to feel like it was part of them. Being married, I no longer have to worry about intimacy issues, still I wonder if I should have been worried in the first place.

It's been nearly 20 years since wearing a system. I'll update on how things go. Feel free to ask any questions. I'd be happy to share.

Thanks for your time! :)

edintoronto

Reaction score
Excellent question. It's mostly a money thing. Married with a mortgage and two teenagers ... tends to eat away at my savings. The hair system is something quicker and less expensive. If money were not an issue, I'd go with hair transplant ... the hair wouldn't be as thick, but it'd be real.