Am receding or maturing?

TheAussieET

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, because my last post was largely ignored, im making another with my new buzzcut. I buzzed it to a 3 today, and it actually looks way less recessed than before. 1st few pics are just current crown and temple pics, but the last one or two will be of me two years ago, age 13. Now my parents think its fine, and tbh so do I, but my friends aren't convinced.
20201203_192452.jpg
20201203_192355.jpg
20201203_192351.jpg
20201203_192327.jpg
Screenshot_20201120-191658_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20201120-191637_Gmail.jpg

bluestar99

My Regimen
Reaction score
You could be possibly receding. Regardless if you are losing hair now or will be later due to male pattern baldness, the recommendation is started taking 1 mg of finasteride three times a week. That is supposed to guard you against Male pattern baldness.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion you should follow JSmith's advice from the last thread and start using Minoxidil, maybe Nizoral 2% shampoo with ketoconazole twice or thrice a week if you want to. You look much better with this haircut than how you looked in the last thread. You could get a fade on the sides and grow it longer on top, going for a crew cut. The short sides with a fade and longer top'll give an illusion of density, or you could go for a caesar haircut with a forward fringe, or comb it forward like a surfer. I'd avoid any hairstyles that require lots of gel or a blowdryier, and I'd go for styling wax or pomade instead of gel if I were you. You'd have to wait till you're 18 or 19 at least to start taking something like Finasteride because DHT is important at your age and you could end up with some severe endocrine issues if you'd start taking it now, plus no decent doctor would give you a prescription.

I'd suggest looking at your parents' family for balding patterns, thyroid issues or hormonal imbalances because you've got some heavy recession (Norwood 2-2.5) for a 15 year old kid (Damn, I'm eight years older than you and I'm already speaking like an old man lol) and it looked like a NW1-1.5 two years ago. So it went up by 1 in two years. Some meds for acne or antidepressants like SSRI's can cause premature hairloss too. You could schedule an appointment with an endocrinologist if there's any history of thyroid problems or hormonal imbalances in your family.

TheAussieET

My Regimen
Reaction score
You could be possibly receding. Regardless if you are losing hair now or will be later due to male pattern baldness, the recommendation is started taking 1 mg of finasteride three times a week. That is supposed to guard you against Male pattern baldness.
Thanks for the advice.

TheAussieET

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion you should follow JSmith's advice from the last thread and start using Minoxidil, maybe Nizoral 2% shampoo with ketoconazole twice or thrice a week if you want to. You look much better with this haircut than how you looked in the last thread. You could get a fade on the sides and grow it longer on top, going for a crew cut. The short sides with a fade and longer top'll give an illusion of density, or you could go for a caesar haircut with a forward fringe, or comb it forward like a surfer. I'd avoid any hairstyles that require lots of gel or a blowdryier, and I'd go for styling wax or pomade instead of gel if I were you. You'd have to wait till you're 18 or 19 at least to start taking something like Finasteride because DHT is important at your age and you could end up with some severe endocrine issues if you'd start taking it now, plus no decent doctor would give you a prescription.

I'd suggest looking at your parents' family for balding patterns, thyroid issues or hormonal imbalances because you've got some heavy recession (Norwood 2-2.5) for a 15 year old kid (Damn, I'm eight years older than you and I'm already speaking like an old man lol) and it looked like a NW1-1.5 two years ago. So it went up by 1 in two years. Some meds for acne or antidepressants like SSRI's can cause premature hairloss too. You could schedule an appointment with an endocrinologist if there's any history of thyroid problems or hormonal imbalances in your family.
Yea well so far it has been a very slow progression, and I don't experience much hairfall at all, so hopefully that stuff you mentioned will stop it completely. The hairline itself isn't what worries me rn tho. 5 years ago I had a buzz cut and my hairline looked similar then to now. But it's the crown and diffuse look thats worrying me. Thanks anyway

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea well so far it has been a very slow progression, and I don't experience much hairfall at all, so hopefully that stuff you mentioned will stop it completely. The hairline itself isn't what worries me rn tho. 5 years ago I had a buzz cut and my hairline looked similar then to now. But it's the crown and diffuse look thats worrying me. Thanks anyway
It's great that you don't experience much hairfall at all, from what I've read here most diffussers say they lose a lot of hair daily. You could ask the men in your family or analyze old pictures if you're worried about being a diffuser. Another way would be to shave your head and take pictures of it daily under the same lighting conditions, you'll notice if you're a diffuser because your hair won't grow evenly, there'll be parts of your head where it'll take longer to grow. I wouldn't worry too much about the crown since I doubt anyone will notice because you're blond and there isn't much contrast between your skin and your hair.

If it's diffuse, the good news is that it's concealable using hair fibers such as Toppik, and many diffusers respond well to treatments from what I've read here. The bad news is that once it's gone its gone, most respectable surgeons won't transplant diffusers because the prognosis isn't good and it'd be wrong ethically speaking.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like the beginning of diffuse. Heck, it could even be the early stages of DUPA and that's something you'd want to start taking care of ASAP. I'd try one thing at a time though at this stage, just so you know exactly what you're responding to and what you're not.

TheAussieET

My Regimen
Reaction score
Al
Looks like the beginning of diffuse. Heck, it could even be the early stages of DUPA and that's something you'd want to start taking care of ASAP. I'd try one thing at a time though at this stage, just so you know exactly what you're responding to and what you're not.
Alright. When I took those top down pictures, I did so using my phone torch for lighting, does that exaggerate it in any way?

Alexander Shenton

My Regimen
Reaction score
And everyone’s hair is see through when it’s short no matter if you are losing hair or not and your hairs light aswell

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The temples definitely look like they are miniaturizing. The crown doesn't look as bad in the second pic, but I would still have to say it's in the early stages of thinning. I would definitely see a derm. I know they won't prescribe a strong drug at your age, but you can still prevent further loss with other conservative treatments.

jazz1

Reaction score
What about considering the BIG3 or Topical Finasteride?