Am I allergic to Minoxidil?

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Bit of back story, So i first started combatting my hairloss around 1.5 years ago, My crown had thinned but i was still basically a perfect nw1 at the front. I started minoxidil on my crown and one side of my hairline as a test, Over a year my hairline went to a Norwood 2 or 2.5 on the one side i was using minoxidil. The other side is still a strong nw1 and the hair has not grown back. I stopped minoxidil in feb after seeing nothing but hairloss on it. And in november last year i got on finasteride. So the timeline is - Start minoxidil early 2014, Start finasteride november 2014.

I thought to myself, well maybe my hairline was just a big coincidence, after all i wasn't taking finasteride for months after i started minoxidil even though i only lost hair where i was applying minoxidil so I started again 3 days ago but straight away I'm feeling a burning itch sensation where I apply it.

Could all this be explained by being allergic to it?

- - - Updated - - -

Bumping because of that guys stupid spam

Masakage

Reaction score
Hey, looks like we're still stuck in the same boat as I remember last year around this time, hahaha. Well, I honestly doubt that it's an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction would have ceased after discontinuing the medication. You haven't got any regrowth whatsoever while on minoxidil? Then most likely minoxidil didn't work for you at all mate... if that's really the case. I had allergic reactions to excess PG, reducing the dose solved it.

When my hair started receding my right temple was always a bit worse than my left, but now they're both catching up, which isn't exactly a good thing as it's receding even more... which sucks.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
but my left temple isn't receeding at all, It shows no signs of hairloss. It's quite the coincidence that my right started and went to a nw2 on at the very time i tested minoxidil there isn't it? Also getting bad itching 3 days after starting again while not having said itching when i was off it made me think allergic.

Masakage

Reaction score
You're allergic to PG that is in the minoxidil, not minoxidil itself. I do get itchiness too, but I changed brands and that has been taken care off. I don't use minoxidil religiously as I used to, and so far it's working I believe as my shedding has stopped and I'm seeing small white hairs coming back to life. I restarted minoxidil around 3 weeks ago, so fingers crossed.

Me too, I've had the exact same thing, but I guess male pattern baldness does not work systematically, My right temple is far worse than my left, I don't think this is because of the minoxidil because I actually got it after quitting minoxidil 6 months later when I first started it.

I personally recommend that you lower the dose and ride it out and switch to a better brand. I tried rogaine, wasn't good, I tried a generic Middle Eastern brand, was even crappier (yet more effective than rogaine, downside was more side effects), and now I'm using lipogaine, which is the best in my personal opinion.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Where do you buy your lipogaine from? Do you think that being allergic to PG could result in hairloss in that area?