Am I A Nw2 Or 3? Do I Still Have The Density For Long Hair?

lonelypanda

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, here are some pictures of me under the harsh overhead fluorescent lights in my bathroom. I've been growing my hair out and it's still in the in-between stage at the moment. I've always had a really high hairline so my big forehead might make it look worse than it is. Do you guys think I'm a NW3 yet? Can I still pull off long hair?

Last edited:

dysentarygary

My Regimen
Reaction score
you look prettty similar to me. my hair is a good bit longer than yours though. i think to the vast majority of people, your hair styled in that way masks the balding pretty well.

lonelypanda

My Regimen
Reaction score
you look prettty similar to me. my hair is a good bit longer than yours though. i think to the vast majority of people, your hair styled in that way masks the balding pretty well.

Thanks man that's good to hear. Yeah, I think so too. People seem to not notice temples as much as the crown. Feels like if someone has a bit of a wide cowlick in the back people will tell them they're balding but a dudes temples could receed all the way to the back of their head like a zebra and no one bats an eye.

My friends and family insisted that I wasn't going bald at all when I told them, they all said I was crazy. I begin to think I was too, but then I showed my mom a picture of Bruce Willis from back in Die Hard 1 and she told me that his hair looks completely normal, and that was just when he had hair "before he was bald" lmao

Do you find that the long hair makes your hair loss look better or worse? I'm planning to grow it shoulder-length like Kevin Parker from the band Tame Impala.
I've seen like three live shows and countless photos and I've never seen the man's temples. He might not even have temples. Even in wind and smoke machines and sh*t

Pazzini86

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always looked terrible with long hair. Pretty good with short, also before male pattern baldness started. Oblong shape probably.

Last edited:

jazz1

Reaction score
What about adding minoxidil and derma roller along with a good Ketaconazole shampoo?

lonelypanda

My Regimen
Reaction score
What about adding minoxidil and derma roller along with a good Ketaconazole shampoo?
Did ketoconazole make a noticeable difference for you? I always figured that I would just end up shedding and making it worse but I dunno. I shed quite a bit first year on finasteride.

lonelypanda

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always looked terrible with long hair. Pretty good with short, also before mbp started. Oblong shape probably.
Yeah I think it's all about the face shape and distance between features. I have really low brows and stuff so with really short hair I look like a mii character that someone has jammed all the features onto the bottom 10% of the face LOL. Not a good look, but I think I'm actually just gonna cut it short. I'd rather people think I was balding and looked a bit like a goblin than looking normal 95% the time and then when the wind blows or something they catch a glimpse and realize you have some sort of elaborate combover going and look like an insecure loser. not a lot of great options hah

jazz1

Reaction score
Did ketoconazole make a noticeable difference for you? I always figured that I would just end up shedding and making it worse but I dunno. I shed quite a bit first year on finasteride.

Yes I found it helps with the itch, the better one is Regenepure DR but I rotate my shampoos.

I use:
Regenepure DR
Lipogaine BIG3
Revita
Nizoral

I also use Piroctone Olamine shampoos as well like Tony Meedy.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Density looks alright. Long hair suits your head pretty well. However long hair with thinning hair is just... not it.

Have you ever tried a shorter haircut? Im a big proponent to short hairstyles. Less maintenance, faster drying, less fixing, less touching, illusion of greater density. Sure you can see more of the temples but thats not a bad look tbh as long as your hair strands aren’t wispy.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Density looks alright. Long hair suits your head pretty well. However long hair with thinning hair is just... not it.

Have you ever tried a shorter haircut? Im a big proponent to short hairstyles. Less maintenance, faster drying, less fixing, less touching, illusion of greater density. Sure you can see more of the temples but thats not a bad look tbh as long as your hair strands aren’t wispy.

I agree with this, but I don't think the density has reached that point yet. It's thick enough that it doesn't look bad, but if you cut it back that forehead is going to be huge.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with this, but I don't think the density has reached that point yet. It's thick enough that it doesn't look bad, but if you cut it back that forehead is going to be huge.
I agree. Id take a large forehead than 24/7 maintenance anyday though. Just personal preference. There are so many people (men and women) with large foreheads it’s really not that big of a deal. Once you start losing considerable density on top is when people start to take heavy notice.

lonelypanda

My Regimen
Reaction score

My forehead is definitely huge, though that picture I posted is pretty much as unflattering as I can possibly make it look. I edited my main post and added two more real-life situational looking pictures where I've pulled my hair back to show kind of how it would look cut shorter. Do you still think my forehead looks obnoxiously large in those pics? Should I keep it long at all costs or is it tolerable?

Yeah I'm with you there, provided the forehead isn't so big that it looks alien or anything. I think if people do double-takes while you walk by it might be hiding time. Yeah, I've had a short sides, few inch long top cut before for a few years, sort of exposing one temple and covering the other. It looked okay, though I look much better with long hair. I just worry with long hair when people inevitably get glimpses of the hairline and temples it'll look even more shocking, you know? I've added slightly more flattering pictures to my original post, check them out and see if you think my forehead looks alien-like, if you don't mind. I'd love to get your opinion.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you cut it short and brushed it forward it might look good. You can always try it and grow it back out if you don't like it.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Holding your hair back like that makes your forehead appear abnormally large. If you were to get a short sides and couple inches on top brushed forward or to the side it wouldn’t look nowhere near like that.

It boils down to whether the long hair maintenance bothers you. If not, then keep it since you said you look better with it rather than the expose one side and brush over the other. For me, I just couldn’t handle it.

lonelypanda

My Regimen
Reaction score
Holding your hair back like that makes your forehead appear abnormally large. If you were to get a short sides and couple inches on top brushed forward or to the side it wouldn’t look nowhere near like that.

It boils down to whether the long hair maintenance bothers you. If not, then keep it since you said you look better with it rather than the expose one side and brush over the other. For me, I just couldn’t handle it.

thanks for the honesty guys. My hair is pretty co-operative and doesn't need product or styling really so I suppose I'll keep it long and sort of keep an eye on the density so if it ends up looking thin and ratty I'll have to get rid of it. Maybe I'll start putting some minoxidil on my temples as well maybe I'll get some regrowth so I don't feel like I'm living a lie that the wind can undo at any moment haha. or maybe ill just hide my temples for a few years then get a transplant... Cheers for the advice

Last edited:

lonelypanda

My Regimen
Reaction score

damn dude I just did some research on the dermaroller/dermapen. I'd never taken it seriously before, those results are crazy! Wtf! I wonder if good response is rare?

jazz1

Reaction score
damn dude I just did some research on the dermaroller/dermapen. I'd never taken it seriously before, those results are crazy! Wtf! I wonder if good response is rare?

100% works I use it, well i use both derma roller 1/1.5mm needle and derma stamp adjustable to 3mm needle size. When you have short hair derma roller is superb and when you have long hair I advise not to use the roller as your hair will tangle and pull, so the derma stamp comes in use.