Alternatives to finasteride

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey, sorry I keep going on and on about sides but I cant help it lol.
Although Ive done quite a bit of reasearch, I want your guys opinion on alternatives to finasteride. spironolactone cream? Revivogen? Have any alternative topicals been proven to work well?
Thanks in advance

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
spironolactone cream perhaps its the best we have at the moment. I read some very good articles about revivogen but have no data on that. You gonna have to use it twice a day if you really want results though, since you are not taking propecia.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hmm swing and a miss u say, ok Rogain foam 5% or usual minoxidil 5%
E-vitamin total that protects cells and B vitamin total for hair and +.
omega 3 and 6 if u got problem with itshy scalp. maibe thats a alternativ.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jojje said:

Im on the big 3 at the moment, im just not sure yet if I want to continue finasteride so am just wondering if there is an alternative for that? Dosnt seem like there is anything that matches it really though :x

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well there are lots of stuff out there .. but nothing that has been tested as well and shown as well results as finasteride and dutasteride.
but who knows maibe this year something new and exiting comes.
You never know :)

G

haunted-ballroom said:
Jojje said:

Im on the big 3 at the moment, im just not sure yet if I want to continue finasteride so am just wondering if there is an alternative for that? Dosnt seem like there is anything that matches it really though :x

haunted, I'm a little confused. How long have you been on finasteride for? In your first post I thought perhaps you were considering finasteride but were looking for advice on alternatives because the possibility of sides was scaring you away from giving it a shot. If you're already on it though, and aren't experiencing any sides, why go off of it?

If you're taking the full 1mg dosage every day you could also reduce your dosage. The relationship between DHT reduction and finasteride dosage is not linear. It's better to quarter the pill and take it EOD than get off of it completely.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:
haunted-ballroom said:
Jojje said:

haunted, I'm a little confused. How long have you been on finasteride for? In your first post I thought perhaps you were considering finasteride but were looking for advice on alternatives because the possibility of sides was scaring you away from giving it a shot. If you're already on it though, and aren't experiencing any sides, why go off of it?

If you're taking the full 1mg dosage every day you could also reduce your dosage. The relationship between DHT reduction and finasteride dosage is not linear. It's better to quarter the pill and take it EOD than get off of it completely.

I only started it this month. When I was researching it first, I was just reading the Merck website and other sites that advertise the drug and they made it sound so safe. In fact, it seemed this drug had less side effects than most! But, after starting the drug, I stumbled across a post somewhere where someone complained about permanent impotence so I decided to do a search to see if any others reported this. Unfortunatly, I came across an unusually high number of posts in forums all complaining about the same thing and the same symtoms. This scared the sh1t outta me! So I seen my doctor and sent emails to see what I could find out from the professionals and they all said the same thing, just basically quoted the merck website and the fact that all side effects reported in the trials were completly reversed after stopping treatment. The fact that they just quoted the site gave me the impression that they didnt really know the answers to my question and by quoteing the site, covering themselves incase something did go wrong takeing this drug. The problem for me is, there is no way I would risk impotence even if the odds were 1 in a million. When I was a child, 2 years old, I had one of those injections that kids have to get (dont know which one) and I was paralysed on my left side for over two weeks. I dont remember any of this, but I was told by my father that the doctor said the chances of that happening were extremely rare, but obviously, that did not stop it from happening. To sum all this up, im just questioning the drug that im takeing from reading an alarming amount of posts about extremely bad sides

G

I know what you mean, but think about it. You can't take the posts about these sides with more than a grain of salt. Not that they are making up their side effect, but the fact that there's probably millions of more people out there SAFELY taking the med and are not posting about it anywhere because they're simply not having any problems. If you want to do a rudimentary, unscientific, comparison then compare the number of posts talking about these sides to the TOTAL posts on finasteride.

Remember the studies showed that sides occurred in less than 2% who used finasteride during clinical trials. Again, if this is a big concern to you (as they are to me as well), drop your dosage! 0.25mg can reduce up to 90% as much DHT as 1mg! Plus if you've been taking it for a month now w/out sides, then there's no point to go off of it completely.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:
I know what you mean, but think about it. You can't take the posts about these sides with more than a grain of salt. Not that they are making up their side effect, but the fact that there's probably millions of more people out there SAFELY taking the med and are not posting about it anywhere because they're simply not having any problems. If you want to do a rudimentary, unscientific, comparison then compare the number of posts talking about these sides to the TOTAL posts on finasteride.

Remember the studies showed that sides occurred in less than 2% who used finasteride during clinical trials. Again, if this is a big concern to you (as they are to me as well), drop your dosage! 0.25mg can reduce up to 90% as much DHT as 1mg! Plus if you've been taking it for a month now w/out sides, then there's no point to go off of it completely.

Hey, yeah Ive decided to continue it for now anyway. Hopefully I wont get any sides (apart from the mental ones im getting now lol). I guess if anything bad happens I can just come off the treatment and deal with it then. There is no point worrying anymore about something that may or may not happen. Ill stick to 1mg for now anyway as I havnt really noticed any sides. Thanks

jh

Established Member
Reaction score
I dunno if this helps you any, but I was a bit wary with finasteride and began by taking .5 mg. I didn't like feeling like I was in a fog all the time so, after about 6 months, I dropped to .25 mg and added Revivogen. After a couple months of this an ordered shipment of finasteride didn't arrive and I just said hell with it.

This was almost a year ago, and I can't say I have noticed any difference. Plus I figure that if I start to lose ground I can always try finasteride again.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:

Don't waste your time on him. He isn't worth it. The website he is getting his information from is so full of B.S., you would almost think it was a parady or a joke.

Haunted-ballroom, can you post that website that you get your info from so Fairtaxnow can have a good laugh at the idiocy of it? I mean, I seriously think there is a post were someone said taking finastride made his ballhairs turn purple or something rediculous to that effect.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
WorldofWarcraft said:
FairTaxNow said:

Don't waste your time on him. He isn't worth it. The website he is getting his information from is so full of B.S., you would almost think it was a parady or a joke.

Haunted-ballroom, can you post that website that you get your info from so Fairtaxnow can have a good laugh at the idiocy of it? I mean, I seriously think there is a post were someone said taking finastride made his ballhairs turn purple or something rediculous to that effect.

Not worth it!!!!? Im not even going to try and defend myself here. :roll:
Oh, and I never said that EVERYTHING on those websites was true!
Wanker