Alternatives to finasteride -> spironolactone

mcpaulyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Is spironolactone a good substitute for finasteride? Does it work just as well? What would happen if I slowly weened myself off of finasteride and onto spironolactone? Would I experience hair loss/shedding?

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The thing about spironolactone is that it's not as effective as finasteride. I personally don't think people apply enough daily. For spironolactone to be as effective or more effective than finasteride, spironolactone would have to have on the scalp 24/7.

If you are going onto to spironolactone I suggest to venture out and add a couple of topicals to help battle dht.

was finasteride a success for you? (regrowth) If it wasn't then you might shed on spironolactone.

G

Matgallis said:
The thing about spironolactone is that it's not as effective as finasteride. I personally don't think people apply enough daily. For spironolactone to be as effective or more effective than finasteride, spironolactone would have to have on the scalp 24/7.

If you are going onto to spironolactone I suggest to venture out and add a couple of topicals to help battle dht.

was finasteride a success for you? (regrowth) If it wasn't then you might shed on spironolactone.

Levels of Testostorone are the highest early in the morning until lunch, then they drop. So if you want to an effective spironolactone protection then I suggest waking up around 3 in the morning and add spironolactone cream to the scalp and then again around 8 in the morning.

Did you know that spironolactone is cancerogenic?

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nesta said:
Did you know that spironolactone is cancerogenic?
Proof?

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
There are some websites that report that spironolactone caused tumors in rats using large doses. Do a search with "spironolactone cancer"

We are damned if we do and damned if we don't

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That doesnt mean anything...the question is how "large' were the doses?

We can get cancer from anything nowadays.......i bet those doses were f*****g outrageouslly huge.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
blue said:
That doesnt mean anything...the question is how "large' were the doses?

We can get cancer from anything nowadays.......i bet those doses were f*****g outrageouslly huge.
i'm assuming they were interal doses also? Hopefuly no man on this site is taking spironolactone orally...

mcpaulyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Matgallis said:

I can't say that I've noticed regrowth, but it seems as if I've been maintaining.

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
I emailed Dr. Lee about the cancer and here was his response.

"Spironolactone has been shown to cause tumors in mice (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... 82627.html). It's a medication that has been used for many decades without reports of tumor formation in humans. When it is used topically, it does not have any adverse effects.

Richard Lee, M.D. "

viperfish

Reaction score
I still think revivogen is the better bet to stop dht. spironolactone does not impress me much. If there were more people saying that they have been maintaining or seeing any significant results from it I would consider using it for the long haul. However, significant results do not seem to accompany spironolactone. I have heard many great things about revivogen, not specifically on this website, but on others I attend. Not too many people are really using revivogen on this website.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't believe spironolactone or revivogen are effective by themselves.

croat

Reaction score
Saw Palemetto is very effective- personal experience. Acc. to investigations, it does not lower DHT blood serum level, but blocks both 5-ars + follicle DHT receptors.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nestaLevels said:
of Testostorone are the highest early in the morning until lunch, then they drop. So if you want to an effective spironolactone protection then I suggest waking up around 3 in the morning and add spironolactone cream to the scalp and then again around 8 in the morning.
THis may explain morning wood