alpha hydroxy's and follicle growth...

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on if alpha hydroxy's could promote follicle growth or stimulation. It has been proven that ah's promote regeneration and growth of skin cells but I was just wondering if this could possibly have an effect on the scalp as well. I was just asking this because I came across a shampoo with ah's and it says that it can promote follicle growth.the shampoo is not adevertised as a growth stimulant or anything like that but who knows. I wouldnt have given it a second look but ah's play an important part in skin cell growth......thanks...later

oh yeah heres the link if you want to check it out....I use their skin products which work great but never tried the shampoo

http://zirh.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=110

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty logical. As long as it doesn't hurt the hair then it should be pretty safe to use it. It shouldn't hurt to try it. It may be a good additional to a hairloss treatment. Maybe you could combine it with nizoral. 8) 8)

The Gardener

Reaction score
Constant squalmification of the skin cells from AHA has been shown to increase the rate of skin cell turnover and growth. The only question is whether or not the follicles would respond in a similar manner as the skin cells do.

Retin A has a somewhat similar effect, but probably moreso... to the point of it almost being a chemical peel. However, Dr Lee does not include Retin A in some of his products with the thinking that it would increase hair growth as it does skin cell growth, he puts in it because he thinks the exfoliated scalp would absorb the minoxidil better.

muii

Established Member
Reaction score
there is studies that show 11 alpha hydroxyprogesterone is an ffective anti androgen. I use a lotion that has 11 alpha , medroxyprogesterone
acetate,and finestiride in it. so far not much to report since its been 2 months. you can look some of these studies up on a search for 11 alpha or on pubmed.