Alopecia Areata

A

Administrator

Do you have Alopecia Areata? Ask your questions, exchange information on treatments, and share your experiences here.

For more information on Alopecia Areata, please visit our Guide to the Alopecia's here on HairlossTalk.com

HairLossTalk.com

Last edited by a moderator:
G

HAIR LOSS

HI... I AM A 26 YR OLD FEMALE...SOMEONE NOTICED A BALD SPOT ON MY HEAD YESTERDAY. I THOUGHT THEY WERE KIDDING UNTIL I SAW OTHER'S REACT & RECOIL WHEN I ASKED THEM TO LOOK. I SAW IT & IT'S ROUND AND ABOUT 2 1/2 INCHES IN DIAMETER. I AM SUPER SELF CONCIOUS, AND AS MY EXTRA INCOME FROM MY NORMAL JOB IS FROM MODELING, YOU CAN SEE THAT I AM CONCERNED, AND EXTREMELY SCARED IN GENERAL.
I DID SOME ONLINE RESEARCH & HAVE COME UP W/ SEVERAL FINDINGS ABOUT FEMALES WHO GO OFF THE PILL, ORTHOTRICYCLIN IN PARTICULAR, WHO EXPERIENCE THIS CONDITION. THIS MAKES SENSE TO ME, AS I HAVE NO STRESS, EATING IS EH, OK, NOT THE BEST, BUT I HAD CRASH DIETED WAY WORSE IN THE PAST & NOTHING HAPPENED, NO BALDING HISTORY IN THE FAMILY.
BUT I DID RECENTLY GO OFF THE PILL & THE SPOT APPEARED AROUND ONE WEEK AGO (SOMONE MENTIONED SEEING IT).

BEFORE I GO TO THE WRONG TYPE OF DR, & GET A RUN AROUND, TESTS ETC...ESPECIALLY AS I HAVE NO INSURANCE & MINIMUM $ FOR DOCTORS... PERHAPS SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME ADVICE ON HOW TO ACT ON THIS ASAP...
I MADE AN APPT W/ A DERMATOLIGIST, BUT I DON'T THINK HE MAY BE THE BEST PERSON. I LIVE IN NYC & WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN RECCOMEND A DR WHO SPECIALIZES OR KNOW WHAT HE/SHE IS TALKING ABOUT?

ALSO, -IF- THIS IS A CONDITION FROM GOING OFF THE PILL... IF I WENT BACK ON, WOULD IT STOP... OR WOULD IT WORSEN?

SHOULD I SUGGEST TO THE DR CORTIZONE SHOTS ALREADY? DO THE SHOTS THEMSELVES WORSEN THE HAIR LOSS TEMPORARILY, OR WAS CAROL'S HAIR LOSS SIMULTANEOUSLY OCCURING DURING SHOT TREATMENT W/ NOTHING TO DO FROM THE SHOTS?

SOMONE PLEASE HELP ADVISE ME, AS I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START... THANK YOU!

I READ CAROL'S STORY... MY SPOT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE HER BEGINNING STAGES. HOW SHE'S MAKING OUT IS INSPIRING.

jenny8551

Reaction score
You are not alone

Hi, my younger sister who is sixteen has this same problem. She had noticed a patch the same size as yours months ago and another one a few days ago. We are getting worried and i posted a question on this website. Someone gave me a helpful website (http://www.keratin.com) and it explained a lot about this disease. There are soo many potential causes for this from hormaonal changes, to seasonal changes. The site has a lot of information and I think it would be useful to you. Son't worry, it is not lifethreatening, but I understand that this can be emotionally stressful for you and my sister. I do think it is Alopecia areta and there are treatments for it. Even without treatment, it goes away most of the time (65%) on its own. They say that there are usually only one or two patches. It might have happened because you got off of birth control and your hormones changed, but I suggest you visit the website.
Hope everything works out,
Jenny