Alopecia Areata Or Androgenic Alopecia?

contrariouscylindricality

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm 23 years old and I've had a receding hair line since I was ~20.

It didn't really bother me because both my uncle and grandfather (on mothers side!) have high hairlines that have receded slowly over the years and despite being 76 and 50 respectively, they both still have a pretty decent head of hair.

Yesterday however I noticed that I have a ~2cm (.8inch) diameter bald spot at the back of my head, exactly where the crown is.. Or should be :(
It looks strange because this tiny area is COMPLETELY bald whereas the surrounding area is still pretty thick.

Is this what regular Androgenic Alopecia usually looks like OR could this be Alopecia Areata?

Grateful for any answers.
Also sorry for blurry pictures.
HAIR.jpg
HAIR2.jpg

Jonnyyy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm 23 years old and I've had a receding hair line since I was ~20.

It didn't really bother me because both my uncle and grandfather (on mothers side!) have high hairlines that have receded slowly over the years and despite being 76 and 50 respectively, they both still have a pretty decent head of hair.

Yesterday however I noticed that I have a ~2cm (.8inch) diameter bald spot at the back of my head, exactly where the crown is.. Or should be :(
It looks strange because this tiny area is COMPLETELY bald whereas the surrounding area is still pretty thick.

Is this what regular Androgenic Alopecia usually looks like OR could this be Alopecia Areata?

Grateful for any answers.
Also sorry for blurry pictures.
View attachment 71332 View attachment 71333
Definitely doesn't look androgenetic because of how bald the spot is, usually it's thin or has thin hair around it looks like the hair around it hasn't been affected.

contrariouscylindricality

My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely doesn't look androgenetic because of how bald the spot is, usually it's thin or has thin hair around it looks like the hair around it hasn't been affected.
My thoughts exactly.

Been looking at a lot of androgenic pictures and they don't' look like this.
Glad to hear someone else is on the same track and that I'm not just imagining things.