Almost 44, Curious About Finasteride For This Age

almost44

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm almost 44 years old. In great shape, eat clean and go to the gym regularly. Don't use tobacco. Relatively regular cannabis user. (Mostly eaten or vaped and rarely smoked.) All in all, I consider myself very healthy.

I've had a mature hairline since probably about 22 or so (temples only). I remember being in college and kinda freaking out about it a bit but somehow I must've simply stopped. Honestly, it's probably because when I was in school there was no internet to binge on and freak myself out with. I would've had to go to the library and sift through books and journals to do that! Anyway, my temples have probably crept back a bit in the last few years too. Not a huge deal though.

However, within the last year I've noticed my crown thinning a bit. (Truth be told, I noticed it in a picture taken 8 years ago and pointed it out to my mom and dad and they were both like, "No, that's just your part"). Oddly enough though it's apparently not noticeable to others (??) as no one has mentioned it!! (I have an 8 year old daughter and I figure she, of all people, would say something!! Nothing yet.) Maybe people are simply being kind? Either way, so far it seems to be me who only notices and it's VERY apparent when my hair is wet. Dry however, my hair is pretty wavy and I've learned to style it in such a way that it seems to be somewhat concealed.

About 7 months ago (when I was still in the stage of "somewhat denial"), I did some research and tried saw palmetto. I took 320 mg once a day and probably did that for a good 3 or 4 months. Truth be told, back then, due to me being in the "somewhat denial" stage, I just couldn't bring myself to monitor my crown (i.e. taking pictures, examining it, etc). It was simply too painful to see. I took one pic of it and emailed it to myself thinking that it might be a decent "before" pic. (It's really not though, which is unfortunate.)

Anyway, during this time (while I was taking the saw palmetto), an old girlfriend started contacting me and one thing led to another and before I knew it I was in a relationship. It was casual but I was definitely in somewhat deep. So here's where it gets somewhat interesting. I did in fact notice that my penis was softer than normal when at its flacid stage but I had no problems getting an erection when with my girlfriend and, truth be told, there is no doubt in my mind that it made me last much (much!) longer when having sex. I even remember a time where I simply had to quit but that might've been due to it being round 2. (I'm talking sweat rolling off my face, getting *** cramps, etc.) I mean, maybe there were times where getting all the way hard took a bit longer?? Either way, it would eventually get there and then I was ready to roll!! (Nothing but compliments from the girlfriend, btw. I would go so far as to say she was more than satisfied 99% of the time.)

Long story short, I ended up breaking it off with my girlfriend and discontinued the use of the saw palmetto only because the more research I consumed seem to show that if one is serious about saving one's hair then they should get on finasteride yesterday.

Well, I haven't done that yet. I have however started using minoxidil 5% foam in the morning and 5% liquid at night. (Also nizoral 3 times a week.) I'm about 3 weeks in with that. Not sure I notice anything to be honest. Maybe slightly less shedding?? No real improvement yet though. Not too sure but I'm soldiering on with it for a while anyway.

So I just met with my doctor yesterday and asked about going on finasteride and he was like, "yeah, it works. Just let me know and I'll get you a prescription."

I guess I'm writing to this forum because trying to find info for people over 40 who are using finasteride seems to be relatively rare and/or hard to google for. Most guys I read about are in their 20s or 30s.

So... anyone in a similar boat? Decent head of hair for most of their life and are now starting to see badness happening on the tops of their head?

TIA for any replies.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are a few here who are above 40 that use finasteride. It's ultimately your choice if you want to take it since there can be sides that can come occur..

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm just forty. Posted my history in the my story section. Mine has been thinning for a long time. At about 38 I started finasteride and took it for two years. Didn't get any better. May have got worse. Hairline did get worse.
Quit last January. Started minoxidil twice daily. Starting to see results now. So give it time.
I've just started back on finasteride as well as I know you can't keep hair on min alone. Also adding in a few other things like foligain shampoo which has min, ketoconazole and trioxidil. Have been using nizoral for years. Gonna try derma-rolling soon too. That seems to help absorption. I think try it and see. finasteride is the only show in town in some ways.together with min it's been shown to get results. If you have sides you can try something like minoxidil max which has min and finasteride combined.

Edit: when you start to see some results it will give you a great lift. For me that's just happened after about 5 months.

br1

Reaction score
I'm 41. taking finasteride since I was around 25.

It kept my hair. I took 2 "brief" pauses during these years (around 3mo each), and I lost ground each time.

When on finasteride, hairloss seems to slow down to almost zero (but not entirely).

Also a cannabis user, for 20 years now. I don't drink anymore (quit last year, best thing I ever did).

All in all, finasteride never actually affected my life.

But: last time I took a break, I noticed I was "happier" in general. Like, always in a good mood and more energetic. Back on finasteride, I lost that feeling. So, nowadays I believe it can have this "brain effect"..

almost44

My Regimen
Reaction score
You know what IS weird?

(and I can't tell if this is something I should've done all along? Or a decision made as the result of legit balding...)

But if I comb my hair a new way I seem to be able to cover the thinning bit pretty damn well.

Granted, toppik makes it sing too so...

But wasn't there a thread on here titled something like "How are you supposed to comb your hair?" I wish I would've read it! I think I know what the guy meant!! I'd like to know too.

But it seems like if I just split the difference of the whorl (I believe that's what it's called), where the lack of hair is really just a discontinuation of its intended growth-pattern (like a flower missing petals in its pattern or something).... it seems like if I comb it so that one half of it goes up and the other half goes down (and a sprinkle of toppik) I can seemingly appear as "not balding"? I just sort of "help" the pattern continue and use some hairspray to make it stay that way.

(But can one really just change one's whorl all willy-nilly? Or is that some weird hair-faux pas?)

Honestly, like I mentioned above, I haven't even touched my whorl since a month ago. And that was SCARY! Before that it's literally been years. MANY years. You can see how much of a concern this has (rather, should have) been so haha surprise on me...

But that also means that I really have no decent baseline to go off.

Either way, I'm thinking it can't be this easy?

I've sprinkled toppik once a while back (like a month ago) and it didn't seem anywhere NEAR this easy.

Because here's the THING! On closer-look using a comb, maybe i DO have new hairs? After 3 weeks? Because there definitely seems like there's more to work with. (Bold/italics added as these hairs are pretty much invisible to the naked eye. They can only be seen in a very unimpressive group using a comb. But groups of groups seems to "work". But they're still short. I think. Hard to see what has NO color.)

Or maybe I've just gotten better at toppik?

So confusing...

I've also started styling my hair differently and received a good haircut since starting the minoxidil. (My haircuts usually run from bad to terrible so that's been a nice, unexpected change.)

Could these ghost-hairs be the result of the minoxidil already? Because it MIGHT seem like I actually DO have some more "Invisi-hairs"?

You just can't see them?

Or is uhh...RE-styling one's whorl ok?

Damn it. I've changed too many variables at once.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Since your hair loss is extremely slow it may be worth just using the Minoxidil for a few months to see if you can use just this to maintain your hair for a while into your 50s when maybe you won't care much anymore.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride works great for me, and I'm near fifty.

I started in my forties as well.

Why not use it @almost44?

Unless you're planning on popping out some Down Syndrome children late in life, what's
the worse that could happen?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should START Finasteride, and use Minoxidil with it.

Combined, you can see results in as little as 12 weeks, also Minoxidil
makes Finasteride results faster, and much better.

The converse is not true. Minoxidil by itself won't do very much, and
will be temporary even if you are a good responder.