almost 2.5 years on minoxidil...my story

deano2440

Reaction score
so i began minoxidil (regaine real stuff 5%) back in september 2012 (roughly) - i had mild diffusing to the crown, receding temples and yeah, felt like cr*p

took the plunge on minoxidil, and noticed that my head of hair that was bearable at the time, began to diffuse more and more over the last 2.5years...i began finasteride 1mg per day back in December 2014 due to the drastic loss over the 2 years, whilst continuing with the minoxidil (twice a day as per usual) along with the occasional usage of nizoral...i since switched the finasteride over to a gen dutasteride (Duprost - PharmacyGeoff) as i wanted to test my resilience on the finasteride at first (test sides etc.) then just use the dutasteride as a more powerful drug to block most of the DHT i could...

i am now thinking of stopping the minoxidil all together, as i started to see good signs when starting the finasteride, but i have again experienced a bit of a 'sh*t hair day' feeling for the past couple of days - and i cant help but think that it is the minoxidil causing my hair to be 'straw'like, thin, lifeless...i feel the minoxidil is affecting what the finasteride/dutasteride can do - if someone could shed a light on this that would be great?

thanks - i will keep updates

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I believe minoxidil hairs are dependent on minoxidil. Therefore any hair that you regrew from minoxidil will be lost if you stop.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You'll experience a massive shed on minoxidil if you choose to come of it, piratically crushing most of your hair gains. I wouldn't stress yourself out with the sight of shedding.

deano2440

Reaction score
You'll experience a massive shed on minoxidil if you choose to come of it, piratically crushing most of your hair gains. I wouldn't stress yourself out with the sight of shedding.

thanks for this pal, always get great help on here (reassuring responses)

but i have noticed its an annual thing for me, around this time every year i shed loads - panic...then by summer i totally forget about it again haha

its just i read on here about some people who have come off minoxidil - and then hair gaining more strength/thickness, would they still drop out even though i am using dutasteride (and will be starting spironolactone twice a day) as minoxidil (if i am right in thinking) is a sort of 'booster' to grow the hairs...would the dutasteride stop this from falling out?